none
Error Number: 18456 Severity: 14 State: 1 In MS SQL server 2008

Question

• Hi All,

After 2 days of struggling to install sql server 2008, I managed to install it using the system account for all authentication. Now here comes anpther problem I can't loggin ssms and this is really annoying as I have tried every possible routine on the web to no avail. Can anyone give us a clue as to why? and possible solutions.

when I checked my computer management, the SQL2008 server instance is under sql server configuration manager and all services are under sql 2005 services. Is this likely to be the problem or what I am really struggling here. Haven't made any progress in the past two weeks.

Kind Regards
    JacquesM
    • Edited by xpnewusers Friday, October 02, 2009 3:34 PM More text
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

After so many days of struggling with this error I couldn't take it anyomore and had to re-install my machine means starting a fresh from installing vista and then SQL server 2008 Enterprise. I also installed VS 2005 and VS2008 on the same machine without a problem.
    I can't tell you what caused the problem but to my guess it has something to do with updates.

Kind regards.

PS: I am not suggesting that this is the solution but It is was I have done and proved to be working perfectly.

Regards
    JacquesM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hello Jacques

Please see this blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx

State 1 is a generic message displayed at the client - there will be a more descriptive error in SQL Server (and perhaps the Windows Application Log). This blog should help you identify the precise nature of the authentication failure.

As for the SSMS connection, if your client is Vista, run the app as Administrator and you might have more luck. (Right-click on the shortcut)

HTH

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Hi All,

After so many days of struggling with this error I couldn't take it anyomore and had to re-install my machine means starting a fresh from installing vista and then SQL server 2008 Enterprise. I also installed VS 2005 and VS2008 on the same machine without a problem.
    I can't tell you what caused the problem but to my guess it has something to do with updates.

Kind regards.

PS: I am not suggesting that this is the solution but It is was I have done and proved to be working perfectly.

Regards
    JacquesM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:33 PM