none
Execute Out Of Process or In Process

Question

• HI,

I have a parent ssis package that invokes several child packages. One child package executes several times for one execution of parent package. If I execute child package in process ( Execute Out of process = false) it will give error "File is used by another process".  I can avoid this by set Execute Out of process to true. But after that it takes so much time to execute child packages. What's the best thing to do in this case?

Thanks.

• Changed type SSISJoostModerator Saturday, February 09, 2013 8:57 AM more appropriate type
    Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Anush87,

By default, the ExecuteOutOfProcess property of the Execute Package task is set to False, and the child package runs in the same process as the parent package. If you set this property to True, the child package runs in a separate process. In your case, the package will fail if you set ExecuteOutOfProcess property to false, so that you need to set ExecuteOutOfProcess to true to run the child package in a new process. Please refer to:  http://consultingblogs.emc.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/05/16/1414.aspx

Thanks,
    Eileen

Eileen Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Monday, February 25, 2013 3:05 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:19 AM

All replies

• Are you using excel source...? If yes then windows takes several seconds to close it in that case use delay after execution to get it closed.

If you are using other file please let us know ?

Please mark it as helpful if it helps.

Thanks

Sumit

Saturday, February 09, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Yes I'm using excel files and other flat files
    Saturday, February 09, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi Anush87,

By default, the ExecuteOutOfProcess property of the Execute Package task is set to False, and the child package runs in the same process as the parent package. If you set this property to True, the child package runs in a separate process. In your case, the package will fail if you set ExecuteOutOfProcess property to false, so that you need to set ExecuteOutOfProcess to true to run the child package in a new process. Please refer to:  http://consultingblogs.emc.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/05/16/1414.aspx

Thanks,
    Eileen

Eileen Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Monday, February 25, 2013 3:05 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:19 AM