none
sql server 2005 cluster on server 2008 r2

Question

• After installing sql server 2005 cluster on both nodes successfully, my sql service can't start?

it give me error 1069.

i install everything with domain administrator account.

Domain admin group is already member of local administrators group.

also another question, when installation begun are sql server group create on domain or on local computers?

I think my sql server group are create on local computers, is that ok, or something i miss configured ?

• Changed type Tom Phillips Monday, March 12, 2012 7:20 PM
    • Moved by Tom Phillips Monday, March 12, 2012 7:21 PM Setup Question (From:SQL Server Database Engine)
    Monday, March 12, 2012 6:14 PM

All replies

• After installing sql server 2005 cluster on both nodes successfully, my sql service can't start?

it give me error 1069.

i install everything with domain administrator account.

Domain admin group is already member of local administrators group.

also another question, when installation begun are sql server group create on domain or on local computers?

I think my sql server group are create on local computers, is that ok, or something i miss configured ?

Cluster resource 'SQL Server Fulltext' in clustered service or application 'New service or application' failed.

Error 1069

Cluster resource 'SQL Server' in clustered service or application 'New service or application' failed

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:41 AM
  • You need a dedicated SQL service account that is NOT a domain or local admin.  There is a known issue when using domain admin accounts and/or built-in domain groups for SQL Clustering service accounts.  You should install SQL from a domain account that has local admin rights on each node, but the service account should be just an ordinary windows account.

Do not use any built-in groups for the domain groups in SQL 2005.  Create new ones just for this purpose prior to installing SQL 2005.  Make sure the install account has ownership-level control over these groups.

Also install SP3 or SP4 immediately once you complete the install (that will fix the Full-Text issue).

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:41 PM
  • You need a dedicated SQL service account that is NOT a domain or local admin.  There is a known issue when using domain admin accounts and/or built-in domain groups for SQL Clustering service accounts.  You should install SQL from a domain account that has local admin rights on each node, but the service account should be just an ordinary windows account.

Do not use any built-in groups for the domain groups in SQL 2005.  Create new ones just for this purpose prior to installing SQL 2005.  Make sure the install account has ownership-level control over these groups.

Also install SP3 or SP4 immediately once you complete the install (that will fix the Full-Text issue).

Please answer this two simple question?

"but the service account should be just an ordinary windows account," 

1.Service account should be ordinary domain account?

2."Do not use any built-in groups for the domain groups in SQL 2005.  Create new ones just for this purpose prior to installing SQL 2005.  Make sure the install account has ownership-level control over these groups."

install account is domain admin account also belong in local admin group on both nodes by default, so i need to create domain groups, and in security tab to add domain admin fill control for sql domain groups?

Thank's

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Hi Zzdravkin,

A domain account in the Windows world is a user account in a shared security database. The current domain system is called Active Directory.  The account is from a domain controller, or from the security database of a domain which is hosted on its domain controllers. You create account with Start->Programs->Administrative Templates->Active Directory Users and Computers. This management console is installed on domain controllers.

If SQL Server service requires accessing the network resources you can use an ordinary Domain account. Domain User Account: If the service must interact with network services, access domain resources like file shares or if it uses linked server connections to other computers running SQL Server, you might use a minimally-privileged domain account. Many server-to-server activities can be performed only with a domain user account. This account should be pre-created by domain administration in your environment.

You can set a domain account as your service account, using the SQL Server Configuration Manager tool. The SQL Server 2005 setup program will also allow you to select a domain account as the service account.

Regards, Amber zhang

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Hi Zzdravkin,

A domain account in the Windows world is a user account in a shared security database. The current domain system is called Active Directory.  The account is from a domain controller, or from the security database of a domain which is hosted on its domain controllers. You create account with Start->Programs->Administrative Templates->Active Directory Users and Computers. This management console is installed on domain controllers.

If SQL Server service requires accessing the network resources you can use an ordinary Domain account. Domain User Account: If the service must interact with network services, access domain resources like file shares or if it uses linked server connections to other computers running SQL Server, you might use a minimally-privileged domain account. Many server-to-server activities can be performed only with a domain user account. This account should be pre-created by domain administration in your environment.

You can set a domain account as your service account, using the SQL Server Configuration Manager tool. The SQL Server 2005 setup program will also allow you to select a domain account as the service account.

Regards, Amber zhang

that's ok, about service account and domain accounts, but what about groups for services when i install sql 2005 i can select only groups for services and they are domain groups.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:49 AM
  • When building a Clustered SQL instance, the service and install accounts require a common security context.  This context is an Active Directory domain.  You must use domain-level accounts and groups for SQL Service accounts and groups.  The service accounts must not be domain admins.  You can run the installer from a domain admin account.  SQL 2005 uses service groups to manage rights for service accounts.  One very common mistake is to use built-in domain groups for this purpose.  You should create new domain groups expressly for this purpose.  Do not grant special rights or privileges to the service accounts or the service groups.  The SQL installer will grant the minimum necessary rights at installation time.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:57 PM
  • When building a Clustered SQL instance, the service and install accounts require a common security context.  This context is an Active Directory domain.  You must use domain-level accounts and groups for SQL Service accounts and groups.  The service accounts must not be domain admins.  You can run the installer from a domain admin account.  SQL 2005 uses service groups to manage rights for service accounts.  One very common mistake is to use built-in domain groups for this purpose.  You should create new domain groups expressly for this purpose.  Do not grant special rights or privileges to the service accounts or the service groups.  The SQL installer will grant the minimum necessary rights at installation time.

ok i install sql cluster on server 2008 sp2 and cluster is ok , but in failover cluster manu i can't see services in cluster, i test cluster shut down one node and it's work , but i can't see in failover cluster services
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Can you post a screenshot of the failover cluster manager with the left side tree expanded fully?

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Can you post a screenshot of the failover cluster manager with the left side tree expanded fully?

i have problem installing sql 2005,

if i install from features .net 3.5 installation can't start, but when is not install is all good?

is this because .net 3.5 framework

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:02 PM