none
Power Pivot - Creating Relationship Error Message

Question

• I'm using Power Pivot for the first time and I have a number of files of data through a connection to a database. One of the files contains details of purchase orders including a supplier account. The supplier account name is not included in the file and so I thought I would be able to add another source of data (another table from the database or a spreadsheet containing the account code and the account name), create a relationship between the two files and then add the account name field to my pivot table. However, this has not worked.

When I try to add the supplier code I get the following error message:

============================
    Error Message:

----------------------------
    The command was canceled. Please press F1 to get the help topic "Excel Window: PowerPivot Field List" for more details.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.ExcelInterOpUtil.AddToFields(String cubeFieldName, XlPivotFieldOrientation pivotOrientation, Int32 positionIndex)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiPivot.SetFieldOrientation(FieldLocation location, IGeminiColumn column, Int32 positionIndex)
    ----------------------------
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiPivot.SetFieldOrientation(FieldLocation location, IGeminiColumn column, Int32 positionIndex)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiPivot.AddToFieldList(FieldLocation location, IGeminiColumn column, Int32 positionIndex)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiPivot.MoveField(IGeminiColumn column, FieldLocation source, FieldLocation target, Int32 positionIndex)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiPivot.AddField(IGeminiColumn column, Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.GeminiPivot.AddField(IGeminiColumn column)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Modeler.FieldList.FieldListControl.fieldsTreeView_AfterCheck(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)

Any ideas?

Phil

Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi PhilEvans2003

Can you give a sample of your data? This would make it easier to troubleshoot

Javier Guillen
    http://javierguillen.wordpress.com/
    Monday, November 28, 2011 9:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Javier,

thanks for your reply. The table I am using are similar to those shown below. I should surely be able to create a relationship between the supplier list and the purchase order data based on the SU_CODE and the POD_AcCCOUNT fields, shouldn't I?

SU_CODE SUPPLIER
    A001 The ABC Company
    A002 Ashdale Trading
    A003 Anstel Limited
    A004 AJK Electrical
    A005 Armitage Wind Power
    A006 Argile Textiles

POD_DATE POD_NO POD_NETT POD_ACCOUNT  
    01/11/2011 1234      250.00 A001  
    01/11/2011 1235      632.00 A002  
    02/11/2011 1236      458.25 A003  
    02/11/2011 1237      214.36 A004
    02/11/2011 1238      850.00 A005
    03/11/2011 1239      750.75 A006  

Thanks, again.

Phil

Phil
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hi Phil

I was able to load that sample data and create a relationship between POD_ACCOUNT and SU_CODE (this last one being the lookup).   This makes sense as the list you gave is a valid lookup table.

I wonder if the error is something else.  You mention that "When I try to add the supplier code I get the following error ".   Can you be more explicit regarding what you mean by 'when I try to add the code'?

Also, what version of PowerPivot are you using?

Javier Guillen
    http://javierguillen.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Phil,

Just like Javier mentioned, could you please be more specific about your question, Besides, I would recommend refer to this link to see two common PowerPivot error message http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2010/08/two-common-powerpivot-error-messages/ 

Hope it helps you, for more information about Create Relationships between Tables, please see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413437.aspx 

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:55 AM