none
how to reduce the log file size in SQL server 2008

Question

• Hi All,

I Need help regarding the log(LDF) file size reduce, in Merge Replication databases, actually i was Implemented the Merge replication, actually each databases size is nearly 500 MB, but after replication implementation MDF is same but LDF file is showing more than 200GB in Subscriber database and more than 100GB in Publisher database, how can i reduce the size of the LDF Files in each server this is very urgent for me.

help me if any body have any idea.....

Thanks,

Prasad.R

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:02 AM

Answers

• May be you have applied full recovery model, if you are not using log backup then you can choose simple recovery model. Also if you want continue with full recovery model, you can take log backup and after that create maintenance plan to shrink the log file for that database, it will resolve the issue.

Raj

**Mark as answer if it solves your problem. Raj_79
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hello Prasad,

Can you first execute DBCC OPENTRAN in both the Publisher and Subscriber databases to know if there is any open transaction. Also share the DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE) for the publisher and subscriber databases.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ashish

• May be you have applied full recovery model, if you are not using log backup then you can choose simple recovery model. Also if you want continue with full recovery model, you can take log backup and after that create maintenance plan to shrink the log file for that database, it will resolve the issue.

Raj

**Mark as answer if it solves your problem. Raj_79