none
Whats a TUF File?

Answers

• TUF file is the Transaction Undo File, which is created when performing log shipping to a server in Standby mode.

The transaction undo file contains modifications that were not committed on the source database but were in progress when the transaction log was backed up AND when the log was restored to another database, you left the database in a state that allowed addition transaction log backups to be restored to it (at some point in the future. When another transaction log is restored, SQL Server uses data from the undo file and the transaction log to continue restoring the incomplete transactions (assuming that they are were completed in the next transaction log file). Following the restore, the undo file will be re-written with any transactions that, at that point, are incomplete.

Hope its not too geeky.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by John Sansom Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:49 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:22 AM

All replies

• A file is used by SQL Server so that it can place the database back into a recovery state so that it can then roll more logs forward. After logs have been restored they can not be rolled back. You would need to restore the full backup again, and then roll the logs forward to the correct point.
    Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Hello,

A .TUF file is a Microsoft SQL Server Transaction Undo file. The TUF file basically contains the information with respect to any modifications that were made as part of incomplete transactions at the time the backup were performed. A transaction undo (.TUF) file is required if a database is loaded in read-only state. In this state, further transaction log backups may be applied. When you have log shipping configuration you could see this file along with the database backups. Its timestamp will be that of the last restored transactional log time.

Hope that Helps!

Cheers,
    Ashish Kumar Mehta

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem and Vote as Helpful if a Post is Helpful

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:17 AM
  • TUF file is the Transaction Undo File, which is created when performing log shipping to a server in Standby mode.

The transaction undo file contains modifications that were not committed on the source database but were in progress when the transaction log was backed up AND when the log was restored to another database, you left the database in a state that allowed addition transaction log backups to be restored to it (at some point in the future. When another transaction log is restored, SQL Server uses data from the undo file and the transaction log to continue restoring the incomplete transactions (assuming that they are were completed in the next transaction log file). Following the restore, the undo file will be re-written with any transactions that, at that point, are incomplete.

Hope its not too geeky.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Proposed as answer by John Sansom Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:49 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Thank You for the explanation... :)

Regards,

Ananth Kamath

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Hi Mukund,

Is there any way to re-create .tuf file.. i have configured log shipping but unfortunately tuf file has been removed and now log log shipping has been stop and we are unable to up the same.

Thanks and Regards

Mukesh

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Hi Mukund,

Is there any way to re-create .tuf file.. i have configured log shipping but unfortunately tuf file has been removed and now log log shipping has been stop and we are unable to up the same.

Thanks and Regards

Mukesh

No

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Sir,

if some one was deleted .tuf file what will happen?

Thanks & Regards LAKSHMI NARAYANA REDDY.L

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Sir,

your log shipping will not work, if you have the file system backup of that file you can restore there so that your log shipping continuous to work if not as Said it breaks the log shipping & required to reconfigure.

Thanks, Rama Udaya.K (http://rama38udaya.wordpress.com) ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and UN-mark them if they provide no help,Vote if they gives you information.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Sir,

There is no point on posting on old thread if you have any issue raise new thread,answer to your question was already provided by Balmukund ,if you have read post properly

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:16 AM