none
Upgradation from SQL Server 2005 Standard Eddition to SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard

Question

• Dear All,

I have decided to upgrade the SQL server 2005 stn to sql server 2008 r2 stn. During up gradation i have found the following error. please give me a solution.

Sunday, March 24, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

According to the book online, " When upgrade to SQL Server 2008R2, the features to upgrade will be preselected. Please be aware that you could not change the features to be upgraded, and you could not add features during the upgrade operation. You could add features to an upgraded instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 after the upgrade operation is complete."

In your case, please cilck "Next" to finish the upgration and add fearures to the uppgraded SQL Server 2008 R2.

For more information about upgrading to SQL Server 2008 R2, refer to the below link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281940(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi, can you share a bit more information about your machine configuration?  One common reason for this error is that you are trying to upgrade from an older version of Windows that is not supported by SQL Server 2008 R2, but was supported for 2005.  Also, are your editions 64-bit or 32-bit? 

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

My Blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, March 24, 2013 1:13 PM
  • OK, Please have the machine details.

RAM: 3 GB

Processor: Duel Core 2.5 Ghz.

I can install new instance of SQL server 2008 R2 in this server.

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Hello,

What's the service Pack level of the SQL Server 2005 instance? Before upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2, you should install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 from the following link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9969

For more details, please see:Version and Edition Upgrades

Regards,

Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:41 AM
  •  

SQL Server SP4 is installed in the server.

Thanks

MAHATAB

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:57 AM
  • Hello,

According to the book online, " When upgrade to SQL Server 2008R2, the features to upgrade will be preselected. Please be aware that you could not change the features to be upgraded, and you could not add features during the upgrade operation. You could add features to an upgraded instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 after the upgrade operation is complete."

In your case, please cilck "Next" to finish the upgration and add fearures to the uppgraded SQL Server 2008 R2.

For more information about upgrading to SQL Server 2008 R2, refer to the below link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281940(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu

Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:20 AM