none
Can not connect to SQL Server

Question

• I installed SQL Server 2005 (server and client components) on Windows Server 2003 with SP1. I can connect to this sql server from any other machine. However, I can not connect from this machine to sql servers on other machines. I have tried named pipe and TCP/IP. Neither of them works. The error message is can not establish connection. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:21 PM

Answers

• Also, if you're connecting to a named instance, make sure that you're either specifying the port number in the connection string or you have SQL Browser running on the server machine.

Thanks,
    Il-Sung.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:10 PM

All replies

• What is the exact error message ?

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---
    Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:04 PM
  • Here is the error message:

An error has occured while establishing a connection to server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Cound not open  a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error 53)

Had enabled the remote connection from other server and can connect that server from other machines.

Thanks,

Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:40 PM
  • Is a firewall (Perhaps the WIndows default one) installed and configured on the server ? Perhaps then outgoing traffic on the ports is restricted.

-Jens.
    Thursday, April 13, 2006 5:56 PM
  • Also, if you're connecting to a named instance, make sure that you're either specifying the port number in the connection string or you have SQL Browser running on the server machine.

Thanks,
    Il-Sung.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:10 PM
  •  

Hello,

I tried all the things, but it does not help me to solve the problem. I still get the ERROR - 40, could not connect to the remote computer.

I checked the TCP/IP is enabled and port is standard - 1433.

The problem with me was I tried to uninstall the sql server, and reinstall it.

But when I uninstall everything from Add/ Remove Programs still I see it in START- Programs- Microsoft SQL Server.

So I delete everything from the Registry.

Now it let me install the SQL Server on it but I cannot install Database Engine , it says instance is already installed.

Then after finishing my installation i tried to connect via the Management Studio but then i get this error but from here I can coonect to other Instance from other server.

Could you help me in this.

Regards,

Sanja

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:19 AM
  • Turn enable remote connections on firewall options in windows 2003 server machine. Then, enable "file and print sharing".

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:47 AM
  •  

I tried this, but still I am getting the same error 40, enable to connect to Remote computer.

thanks,

SanjaK

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 12:30 PM
  • Verify if the instance is started.

on command prompt execute services.msc and see if you the sqlserver is started.

also, verify if you instaled this sql server as a named instance. On services you'll see the sql server as MSSQL$instancename, so, in this case, your sql server is "servername\instance" and all strings you'll have to connect using servername\instancename as a name of this server.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 12:58 PM
  • Hello Emanuel,

thanks for your reply, and I checked sql server is not started on this server, and if I am trying to start it, i get this error message.

"ERROR -2 SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED"

But as I told you in my last post that I install the sql server again but it does not let me install the sql server instance.

And when I try to uninstall everything from this server (ADD/REMOVE Programs), still I see the SQL server install on the server.

Tell me what should I do to uninstall and reinstall it so that it works.

thanks,

sanjak

Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:49 AM
  • Hi, Try the following connection string:

Dim connection As New SqlConnection("Data Source=Server_Name;Initial Catalog=DataBase_Name;Integrated Security=true")

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:38 AM