none
mmc.exe Bad Image error when I open Configuration Manager

Question

• When I open SQL Server Configuration Manager, I get a mmc.exe - Bad Image error. The description says:"C:\windows\sysWOW64\DUser.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact system admin or software vendor for support". How do I fix it ? (I opened a blank mmc and added the ConfigMgr snap in and was able to get a work around, but I need to get the issue fixed). http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9012/mmcfy.jpg
    Don
    Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Hydkk,

>> mmc.exe - Bad Image error. The description says:"C:\windows\sysWOW64\DUser.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

According to your description and error message you provided, the duser.dll stands for Windows DirectUser Engine. Please try to use the sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Please follow the steps as below:
    1. Try running the system file check tool:
    * click Start
    * click All Programs, then Accessories
    * right click on the Command Prompt option,
    * on the drop down menu which appears, click on the Run as Administrator option.

* If you haven’t disabled User Account Control (and you shouldn’t!) you will be asked for authorisation. Click the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password.

2. Start the System File Checker
    * In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow,
    * press Enter.
    * You’ll see “the system scan will begin”.

The scan may take some time and windows will repair/replace any corrupt or missing files. While in this elevated CMD prompt can you run mmc.exe and see if it comes up. If it doesn't can you capture the exact error string and post it please.

More information, please refer to SFC scan article.

And also you can link to Windows Forms Forums for better help from here.

Regards, Amber zhang
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:39 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please try the following command on that computer:

sfc /scannow  

Try repair of Windows 7, if running that operating system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Hi Hydkk,

>> mmc.exe - Bad Image error. The description says:"C:\windows\sysWOW64\DUser.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

According to your description and error message you provided, the duser.dll stands for Windows DirectUser Engine. Please try to use the sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. Please follow the steps as below:
    1. Try running the system file check tool:
    * click Start
    * click All Programs, then Accessories
    * right click on the Command Prompt option,
    * on the drop down menu which appears, click on the Run as Administrator option.

* If you haven’t disabled User Account Control (and you shouldn’t!) you will be asked for authorisation. Click the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password.

2. Start the System File Checker
    * In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow,
    * press Enter.
    * You’ll see “the system scan will begin”.

The scan may take some time and windows will repair/replace any corrupt or missing files. While in this elevated CMD prompt can you run mmc.exe and see if it comes up. If it doesn't can you capture the exact error string and post it please.

More information, please refer to SFC scan article.

And also you can link to Windows Forms Forums for better help from here.

Regards, Amber zhang
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:39 AM