none
ReportServer service SUDDENLY will not start at all!

Question

• Help! I'm panicking a bit here ... I got a call at home today on a Sunday when one of the system admins at work apparently applied some Windows updates (possibly including SQL Server SP2 -- I thought it was installed already, but I see an error in the event log during it's installation, and when I tried to manually install it, some of the related components appeared to be still pre-SP2) ...

EVERYTHING else is up, and working fine -- database server, analysis server, etc.  However, the primary function of this server is to serve crucial daily reports for an internal group, and now the Reporting Services stuff won't restart at all.  No matter what I try, I just get a variation of this:

From the Reporting Services Configuration Manager:
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service ReportServer on computer 'PRODB'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean start)

From the Event Viewer System log:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7009
    Date: 7/27/2008
    Time: 7:26:24 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: PRODB
    Description:
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER) service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 7/27/2008
    Time: 7:26:24 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: PRODB
    Description:
    The SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER) service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The Reporting Services logs mostly just repeat that "The Report Server Windows service 'ReportServer' is not running." ...

The best hint I got was a message which claims an Error in timer Running Requests DB : Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerDatabaseUnavailableException: The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerServiceUnavailableException: The Report Server Windows service 'ReportServer' is not running. The service must be running to use Report Server....

However, the database is running, and the user account is correct, and the Reporting Services Configuration Manger shows green checkmarks on everything except the Server Status and the Initialization (which obviously fail because the service won't start!) (oh, and SharePoint Integration and Encryption Keys, which remain unset).

Monday, July 28, 2008 12:16 AM

Answers

• I uninstalled that first patch (KB948109) and the service came back up. (I thought the sysadmins had rolled back that patch already, but apparently they had only removed KB951248).

Now I just have to undo some of the other changes I made trying to fix it, and we'll be back in business, minus many hours of my weekend.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 4:58 AM

All replies

• Actually, we do log-shipping to a database server that runs locally on the same server as reporting services, and I have rebooted the server several times today (I tried uninstalling and re-installing a couple of the patches that were installed recently):

- Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
    - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB951748)
    - Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
    - Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB948110)
    Monday, July 28, 2008 4:25 AM
  • I uninstalled that first patch (KB948109) and the service came back up. (I thought the sysadmins had rolled back that patch already, but apparently they had only removed KB951248).

Now I just have to undo some of the other changes I made trying to fix it, and we'll be back in business, minus many hours of my weekend.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 4:58 AM
  • KB948109 caused my reporting service to fail as well.  thanks for the heads up

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:41 PM
  • now KB948110 is causing the same issues.   is thier a permant fix to this issue?
    Friday, September 05, 2008 3:06 PM
  • I had this same issue after installing SQL Server 2005 SP2 but decided to do some more digging before uninstalling patches.  What I found is that some updates reset the RS Encryption Key, requiring either that the key be restored or the encrypted information (any connection strings and stored credentials) be deleted.  I found quite a few sites with bits and pieces of information on this, but I think this blog entry has the most complete explanation of how to deal with this -

http://prologika.com/CS/blogs/blog/archive/2004/12/31/197.aspx
    Friday, September 12, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Below KB describes the article that also helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839803

To increase the timeout value in the registry, follow these steps:
    1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. To change the value data for the ServicesPipeTimeout DWORD value to 60000 in the Control key, follow these steps:
      1. Locate and then click the following registry key:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
      2. Click the Control subkey
      3. Right-click the ServicesPipeTimeout DWORD value, and then click Modify.
      4. Click Decimal.
      5. Type 60000, and then click OK.
    3. If the ServicesPipeTimeout value is not available, add the new DWORD value, and then set its value data to 60000 in the Control key. To do so, follow these steps:
      1. Locate and then click the following registry key:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
      2. Click the Control subkey.
      3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
      4. Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
      5. Right-click the ServicesPipeTimeout DWORD value, and then click Modify.
      6. Click Decimal.
      7. Type a value of 60000, and then click OK.

The value is 60000 milliseconds and is equivalent to 60 seconds or to one minute.
      Note This change does not take effect until the computer is restarted

Nikita
    • Proposed as answer by hjepp Friday, February 11, 2011 11:18 PM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 9:59 AM
  • I have same issue after updating windows 2008.  This solution worked for me. 

Thank you

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:59 PM
  • This also worked for me. I am not sure of the update that caused it though

Earnest

Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:08 PM

How do I uninstall a patch and downgrade to an older one ? Thanks.

Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:05 AM
  • The following kb article deals with uninstalling a SQL Server service pack:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314823

Generally it is better to fix the patch than rolling back.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect SELECT Video Tutorials 4 Hours
    New Book / Kindle: Exam 70-461 Bootcamp: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Thursday, March 06, 2014 5:58 AM