none
excel export with additional formatting in ASP.net

Question

• Hi all,

Currently I have a link  in my ASP.net page that actually prompt user to either save or open the report directly in excel. Now, What I want to do is some additional formatting to the excel report before saving or viewing the report.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks for any help....!

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 4:45 AM

Answers

• Rikz,

As we know, we can export SSRS report to excel file, you can also design the report layout most closely similar the format you want, and then run the report to export it to excel file, while SSRS and Excel are completely different tool,  if you prefer the report to looks like office Excel file style, I would suggest you to completely your report in Excel, office 2010 provides variouse type of data provided,  using them you can directly retrieve the data from database to Excel file, and then you can take use of the Excel tool to format it to your desire appearance. More information about this part, you can refer to the link below:
    Use Microsoft Query to retrieve external data

Additionally, if you prefer the more gorgeous data visualization feelings(include variouse charts report), you can take use of the powerpivot tool which can works as an add-in to excel, which difinetly could meet almostly all your needs, you can refer to the link below to familiar with the features provided by powerpivot:
    PowerPivot Overview
    Create Your First PowerPivot Workbook (Tutorial)

Thanks,
    Bill Lu

Bill Lu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 13, 2012 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Rikz,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, you would like to use the report rendering feature to render the report to excel file in your ASP.net program, but you want to format the file before saving. Actually, reporting service report file is designed for user to customize the report layout and viewing format, all this format setting need to be specified before publishing, and the export feature is used to export the report to the predefined format file. So  I don’t think to format it before saving is a good choice, and I  suggest you to format when you design your report , or just format it in excel file after you save it to local path.

Thanks,
    Bill Lu

Bill Lu

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replying.

So is it possible to format the report specific to excel before publishing. Actually i need my report in excel format so I tried applying auto filters, column freezing and no wrap to report while desgning it but I couldnt make it work.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Rikz,

As we know, we can export SSRS report to excel file, you can also design the report layout most closely similar the format you want, and then run the report to export it to excel file, while SSRS and Excel are completely different tool,  if you prefer the report to looks like office Excel file style, I would suggest you to completely your report in Excel, office 2010 provides variouse type of data provided,  using them you can directly retrieve the data from database to Excel file, and then you can take use of the Excel tool to format it to your desire appearance. More information about this part, you can refer to the link below:
    Use Microsoft Query to retrieve external data

Additionally, if you prefer the more gorgeous data visualization feelings(include variouse charts report), you can take use of the powerpivot tool which can works as an add-in to excel, which difinetly could meet almostly all your needs, you can refer to the link below to familiar with the features provided by powerpivot:
    PowerPivot Overview
    Create Your First PowerPivot Workbook (Tutorial)

Thanks,
    Bill Lu

Bill Lu

Friday, January 13, 2012 12:08 PM