none
SQL 2008 SP2 named instance not recognized by SQL Setup

Question

• Hi,

We're running into a case where our named instance of SQL server 2008 SP2 is not recognized by SQL Server setup.  We can see a windows service with that name and it's running, along with all the files sitting in Program Files.  However when running SQL setup from control panel, it's reporting no named instances found.

We did notice that the box have SQL 2000, 2005, and 2008 on it, don't know if it have anything to do with this error.

Anyone ran into this before?  and possibly know the fix?  We're trying to do a full reinstall but kept getting stuck on the existing instance that we can't remove.

Thanks!

William

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It's SQL 2008, SP1 I believe.  As above, the SQL 2008 remover launched from add/remove programs doesn't show our named instance to be there.  The only thing on the list is the shared component.  On the other hand, that windows service (mssql$name) is running fine. 

William

If you could see SQL Server service running in the Windows Service applet, the instance of SQL Server Database Engine should still be there. I would recommend you run Installed SQL Server features discovery report to find out how many features of SQL Server 2000/2005/2008 you have been installed on your server. For more information about how to use Installed SQL Server features discovery report, please refer to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/080938b4-e564-48df-95d9-a28cab429352.

To uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2008, please refer to:

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

• William

>>We're running into a case where our named instance of SQL server 2008 SP2 is not recognized by >>SQL Server setup

Do you try to install another instance of SQL Server and it does not allow you to put a name of the new instance during the setup, can you explain a little bit more ? Do you get errors?

Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:25 AM
  • William

>>We're running into a case where our named instance of SQL server 2008 SP2 is not recognized by >>SQL Server setup

Do you try to install another instance of SQL Server and it does not allow you to put a name of the new instance during the setup, can you explain a little bit more ? Do you get errors?

Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:25 AM
  • which sql setup are you running? sql2008 or 2005?

you should be able to uninstall sql from control panel - add/remove programmes. if you choose to uninstall 2008, it can't detect 2008 ? can it detect management tools or not?

If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful.
    If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.

Sevengiants.com
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Hi,

We're trying to do a reinstall of our entire application, as our installer is complaining about the SQL named instance (ours) already exists, while the application itself was removed already.  We're not getting any other error messages, the old named instance (windows service) seems to be running fine.  It's just that we're trying to do an install of our app, thinking that we can start fresh by removing the old one.  However, after launching SQL setup from add/remove programs, our named instance doesn't show up in the list of instances to be removed. 

William

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Hi,

It's SQL 2008, SP1 I believe.  As above, the SQL 2008 remover launched from add/remove programs doesn't show our named instance to be there.  The only thing on the list is the shared component.  On the other hand, that windows service (mssql$name) is running fine. 

William

Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:37 PM
  • must be the application had hardcoded the instance name in the installation and doing slient install. when it find instance existance, auto removed. (which I think the installer doesnt have a good error handling.) anyway, your problem is resolved.

If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful.
    If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.

Sevengiants.com
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

William

If you could see SQL Server service running in the Windows Service applet, the instance of SQL Server Database Engine should still be there. I would recommend you run Installed SQL Server features discovery report to find out how many features of SQL Server 2000/2005/2008 you have been installed on your server. For more information about how to use Installed SQL Server features discovery report, please refer to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/080938b4-e564-48df-95d9-a28cab429352.

To uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2008, please refer to:

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Thanks Chunsong, I'll give that a try.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 5:43 PM