none
PowerPivot for Excel 2013 - Losing formatting with date hierarchy

Question

• Hi,

I have a PowerPivot against a SQL Server 2012 DB and have a date table linked to a fact table.  When I create a Fiscal Calendar hierarchy made up of Fiscal Year and Fiscal Period and add that to my Power Pivot Design, it causes the pivot table to lose formatting.

When I add Fiscal Year and Fiscal Period independantly, the formatting is maintained.

Has anyone else seen this in Excel 2013 and is there any patch available?

Thanks,

Todd

Monday, March 18, 2013 5:01 PM

Answers

• I no longer have this problem, so I gather it's not a bug.  I do have some performance issues wrt a date hierarchy, but the formatting is fine.

Check that the table properties for your date dimension marked as a "DATE" dimension?

I did change my measures to be calculated dimensions (below the grid line of a measure hit the Summation icon).

-- good luck with it.

Todd

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:06 PM

All replies

• I encountered the same behavior. When you create a hierarchy in the date table and use it in pivot it makes your custom measures lose their formatting.

Feels like a nasty bug but still no confirmation from Microsoft?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:39 AM
  • Anybody else seen this issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, September 13, 2013 6:46 PM
  • I encountered the same behavior. When you create a hierarchy in the date table and use it in pivot it makes your custom measures lose their formatting.

Feels like a nasty bug but still no confirmation from Microsoft?

If it's a bug, did you submit it on Connect?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, September 13, 2013 6:47 PM
  • I no longer have this problem, so I gather it's not a bug.  I do have some performance issues wrt a date hierarchy, but the formatting is fine.

Check that the table properties for your date dimension marked as a "DATE" dimension?

I did change my measures to be calculated dimensions (below the grid line of a measure hit the Summation icon).

-- good luck with it.

Todd

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:06 PM