none
OLAP Errors in the metadata manager. The data directory of the server does not exist and could not be created.

Question

• Hi,

I changed the DataDir from C:\... to D:\...  I stop and restart OLAP service and the service won't restart.  It returns the following messages.

Errors in the metadata manager. The data directory of the server does not exist and could not be created. Errors in the metadata manager. The data directory of the server does not exist and could not be created. The following system error occurred: The system cannot find the path specified. . File system error: Error occurred during the creation of directory: '\\?\D:\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data'.

How do I change the DataDir value back to its original value or change the default DataDir to D:\?

How do I change Analysis Service properties without the service being running?

Thanks!

Friday, May 07, 2010 5:59 PM

Answers

• In your case it looks like services are not running so you need to chnge values from msmdsrv.ini file:

From Config File:

Get the location of Config File of Current Instance.

Open Services.msc, look for Analysis Services Instance, in Path to executable look for the path of Config Directory it will appear something like this:

("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Config")

Stop Analysis Services from Configuration Manager or from SQL Management Studio

Open Config Directory take a backup of existing file – msmdsrv.ini

Using Notepad open Config file (msmdsrv.ini ) and make changes with below mentioned Parameter.

Current Location: <DataDir>C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data</DataDir> to New Location <DataDir>D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data</DataDir>

Start Analysis Services

Let me know if you need further assistance.
    Regards
    Karan Gulati
    http://blogs.msdn.com/karang
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Saturday, May 08, 2010 7:21 PM

All replies

• I am not sure how to change it if SSAS isn't running, but can you create the directory it is trying to use and just give the everyone user access?  Then once you get it up, you can change it to a valid path?
    Friday, May 07, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Hello,

If you are using SSAS 2005 then follow the below mentioned steps to change the data directory:

1. Right-click on the SSAS server instance and select "Properties".
    2. Click on "General".
    3. Change the Data location value for "Data Dir" item in the List.
    4. Restart the SSAS server.

If you are using SSAS 2008 then follow the below mentioned steps to change the data directory:

1. Right-click on the SSAS server instance and select "Properties".
    2. Click on the "Database Settings".
    3. Change the Data location under "Default database locations".
    4. Restart SSAS server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ranjith

Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:52 PM
  • In your case it looks like services are not running so you need to chnge values from msmdsrv.ini file:

From Config File:

Get the location of Config File of Current Instance.

Open Services.msc, look for Analysis Services Instance, in Path to executable look for the path of Config Directory it will appear something like this:

("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Config")

Stop Analysis Services from Configuration Manager or from SQL Management Studio

Open Config Directory take a backup of existing file – msmdsrv.ini

Using Notepad open Config file (msmdsrv.ini ) and make changes with below mentioned Parameter.

Current Location: <DataDir>C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data</DataDir> to New Location <DataDir>D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data</DataDir>

Start Analysis Services

Let me know if you need further assistance.
    Regards
    Karan Gulati
    http://blogs.msdn.com/karang
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Saturday, May 08, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Karan - it is almost a year after your helped DBATran but your answer just keeps on giving.  I did something so boneheaded it was painful but your excellant instructions pulled my bacon out of the fire and taught me something new and very useful!  Thank you!
    Friday, March 18, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hello all,

I am not able to locate the above mentioned file.

Can any body suggest how to trace that file.

Thanks,

Kiran Nelakuditi.

Friday, April 26, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Hello DBATran,

I have faced the same issue, can you please check your database tabels that lodas the data.

There you might have the some tables with Data Dirctories paths..So, you need to update the directory path in those tables.

And the same check if you any table that contains SSIS Config files, you need to update there also.

That is the reason showing Path not specified.

Regards,

Kiran Nelakuditi.

• Edited by Knelakuditi Monday, August 05, 2013 1:29 PM
    Monday, August 05, 2013 1:26 PM