none
The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden

    Question

  • I wish http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1865928&SiteID=1 had the resolution to my issue but it doesn't.

     

    Long story short, I thought I'd build a local web service with the same signature as something another team was doing. In Visual Studio, you can click on the project and select Publish.

    One of the options is to "Delete all existing files prior to publish." I was unfamilar with this option and it does exactly what it claims to do: my inetpub\wwwroot folder is clean as a whistle. I was expecting it to only delete what it had put out there but apparently not.

     

    We have a deploy process here so the web work and the reports I've developed can and have been dropped back out there, no harm done.  I recreated the virtuals for Reports and ReportServer and something is amiss.  I can navigate to http://localhost/Reports/ and it's fine, it displays the folders I had created.  I can click into the folders and see the reports I had deployed just fine.  However, when I actually click on a report, it starts to serve the content but then chokes and dies on rendering.  It then indicates "The remote server returned an error:  (403) Forbidden."

     

    I have gone through a fellow developer's machine and compared the IIS settings between the two machines and they appear to be the same. 

     

    Auth is set to Integrated Windows

    I have restarted iis (iisreset) as well as followed up with a bounce to the "SQL Server Reporting Services (MSSQLSERVER)" service

    It's all using the 2.0.507270.0 engine

     

    Event log has this

     

    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 4/30/2008 4:10:43 PM
    Event time (UTC): 4/30/2008 9:10:43 PM
    Event ID: a375e274ef444acb997111f67f5fb9b4
    Event sequence: 24
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0
     
    Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Reports-1-128540632573857817
        Trust level: RosettaMgr
        Application Virtual Path: /Reports
        Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Reporting Services\ReportManager\
        Machine name: 1-227630691
     
    Process information:
        Process ID: 4884
        Process name: aspnet_wp.exe
        Account name: 1-227630691\ASPNET
     
    Exception information:
        Exception type: WebException
        Exception message: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
     
    Request information:
        Request URL: http://localhost/Reports/Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd?OpType=StyleSheet&Version=2005.090.3042.00
        Request path: /Reports/Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd
        User host address: 127.0.0.1
        User: SomeDomain\SomeUser
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: Negotiate
        Thread account name: 1-227630691\ASPNET
     
    Thread information:
        Thread ID: 1
        Thread account name: 1-227630691\ASPNET
        Is impersonating: True
        Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.GetStyleSheet(String styleSheetName)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportServerStyleSheetOperation.PerformOperation(NameValueCollection urlQuery, HttpResponse response)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

     

    Any help would be appreciated immensely.

    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:15 PM

Answers

  • Well, that was a ton of time wasted when there was a handy tool to fix it sitting right there in the MS SQL Server program folder.  I had RSConfigTool.exe fix whatever setting I apparently had not made and voila, I'm back in business.

    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:06 PM

All replies

  • Well, that was a ton of time wasted when there was a handy tool to fix it sitting right there in the MS SQL Server program folder.  I had RSConfigTool.exe fix whatever setting I apparently had not made and voila, I'm back in business.

    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:06 PM
  • I tried almost every solution nothing worked and then tried following and worked for me

    Open  Reporting Services Configuration manager and create 2 new virtual directories
    one for report Server and one for Report Manager now everything is working (I named them Reports2005 and ReportServer2005 but you can name it wtever you like ).

    Hope this will save your hair :)





    Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:51 PM