none
Version 10.50.1600 is incomapitble with version 10.00.1600... During a Restore

Question

• SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is installed on Machine A. I just installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition on Machine B. I made a back up on Machine A. I copied the .bak file to Machine B. Using Management Studio I create an empty database on Machine B with the same name as the Database I had backed up on Machine A. Still using Management Studion I tried to restore the Backup from Machine A to Machine B. I received the Following error:

The Database was backed up on a server running version 10.50.1600. That version is incompatible with this server, which is running 10.00.1600...

First, I find this message confusing. I though the Developer edition was the equivilent of the Enterprise Edition. Going on the assumption (yeah, I know) it strikes me as odd that the Express Edition has a higher version number, 50, than the Developer Edition, 00. Am I reading that correctly?

The real question here is how do I move a database from the Express Machine to the Developer machine? Neither is a production database so there are no time constraints such as Customer ordering will be down while I do the copy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

pat

Friday, August 06, 2010 12:28 AM

Answers

• Version 10.50 is SQL 2008 R2 whereas 10.00 is SQL 2008.  Verify the target instance is actually SQL 2008 R2 with SELECT @@VERSION.  Note that you can't restore a SQL 2008 R2 database to SQL 2008 as the on-disk format is different between versions.  However, you can restore a SQL 2008 database backup to SQL 2008 R2 and the database will be upgraded during the restore.
    Dan Guzman, SQL Server MVP, http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/
    Friday, August 06, 2010 12:54 AM

All replies

• This doesn't sound exactly right. Run SELECT
    	SERVERPROPERTY('Edition') AS Edition,
    	SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion') AS ProductVersion,
    	SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel') AS ProductLevel

on both servers to be sure.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Friday, August 06, 2010 12:38 AM
  • Version 10.50 is SQL 2008 R2 whereas 10.00 is SQL 2008.  Verify the target instance is actually SQL 2008 R2 with SELECT @@VERSION.  Note that you can't restore a SQL 2008 R2 database to SQL 2008 as the on-disk format is different between versions.  However, you can restore a SQL 2008 database backup to SQL 2008 R2 and the database will be upgraded during the restore.
    Friday, August 06, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Naom,

Your query returned, Developer Edition, 10.00.1600.22, TRM

Dan and Naom,

Ok. I am stupid. I just looked at the box. It says SQL Server 2008. I intended to purchase Developer SQL 2008 R2. Oh well, I lost a couple of more days. Sorry for the post. Thanks for helping.

pat

Friday, August 06, 2010 2:16 AM
  • SQL Server 2008 R2 was released to the public in April.
    Friday, August 06, 2010 1:54 PM
  • It was released to the public, but is it available for purchase (in the box)? That's the question and as far as I know, it's not available yet.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Friday, August 06, 2010 4:05 PM
  • I see it for sale at several retail vendors, but I did not find anyone with it "in stock".  So I don't know. 
    Friday, August 06, 2010 8:41 PM
  • So is there any workaround to bypass it? I have similar issue. One of our developers "god bless him" have installed SQL Express 2008 R2 on his machine. He was doing some projects and after a time his db growth up. Now my boss told me to migrate his db to production server which is SQL server 2008. I cant migrate his db. Tried with scripts and it worked for small db not for 2gb. Any ideas?

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:09 AM
  •  Tried with scripts and it worked for small db not for 2gb. Any ideas? 

Can you elaborate on the problems you had with the larger database?  You ought to be able to script all of the database objects except non-clustered indexes and constraints and run the script against the empty target database.  Then copy data from source to target using SSIS.  The SSMS export data wizard can facilitate this.  Finally, script constraints and non-clustered indexes and run that on the target.

Monday, September 20, 2010 12:10 PM
  • -- UPDATED --

I found the Script the Database and All Database Objects option - this is the key, then being able to select the DB version for which the scripts will be generated.  Sorry to bother.

If one cannot restore the R2 version back to their dev machine, how is this not a HUGE oversight?  I have worked in MS SQL Server environments for over 12 years, and have never worked a single one where the start of EVER project didn't begin with a fresh copy of the production database - it's been a standard at any place I've worked.

So, I must script the database, I've only even seen that possible by scripting each object individually which is not viable in any DB of even small proportion in the real world - please tell me there's a quick way to script each DB object with one set of commands. - Thanks!

• Edited by Reconciler Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:58 PM Found an answer.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:51 PM