none
SQL 2005 - Error 17113, 29503, Service Fails to Start after Service Pack 2 Update

Question

• Hi Guys,

Runnig Win2k3 Enter, with SQL 2005.  This is my SharePoint box.  I did the Service Pack 2 KB948109 update and it always fails and now my SQL 2005 Service will NOT start.  Any help is appreciated.

I have tried setting services to manual, restart, doesnt work.

I am getting the following error message in the \LOG\ERRORLOG\ folder.

--------------------------------------------------
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Server process ID is 2988.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Authentication mode is WINDOWS-ONLY.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Logging SQL Server messages in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      This instance of SQL Server last reported using a process ID of 1672 at 7/14/2008 5:09:53 PM (local) 7/15/2008 12:09:53 AM (UTC). This is an informational message only; no user action is required.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Error: 17053, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(Access is denied.) encountered.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Registry startup parameters:
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server           -l C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server           -e C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server           -d C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Error: 17113, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.) occurred while opening file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf' to obtain configuration information at startup. An invalid startup option might have caused the error. Verify your startup options, and correct or remove them if necessary.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      Error: 17053, Severity: 16, State: 1.
    2008-07-15 09:29:06.66 Server      UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(Access is denied.) encountered.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, getting this message in the Summary Log file

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Installation Status
    Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (OFFICESERVERS)
    Product Version (Previous): 3054
    Product Version (Final)   :
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    SQL Express Features      :
    Error Number              : 29503
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 29503  The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005
    Product Version (Previous): 3068
    Status                    : Not Selected
    Log File                  :
    Error Description         :

**********************************************************************************
    Summary
         One or more products failed to install, see above for details
         Exit Code Returned: 29503
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:59 PM

All replies

• Any thoughts?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Can you please check if the Sql service account has modify permissions to the file location C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf ?

- Deepak

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:50 AM
  • I think there was a big mistake made.  An IT rep unistalled SQL 2005 from the box and then reinstalled it, then re-attached all the DB's for the SharePoint site etc.

The service does start now, but SharePoint still wont connect.

Any thoughts on that piece?  Trying to replicate previous environment.  I do have a backup of the entire server image.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:55 PM
  • I am not sure about sharepoint. Can you try the sharepoint newsgroups for better responses ?

- Deepak
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Boomer,

When you detach a db from SQL Server & if any logins has this db as default db then those logins default db will be changed to NULL.

Hence after attaching back the database you need to map that database to the login. From which login you are connecting from sharepoint to SQLServer??

Use the below procedure to change the default db of the login

sp_defaultdb (Transact-SQL)

Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:00 AM
  • I encountered the exact same error.  My work around to get the server back up and running is as follows.  This applies to both the engine and the agent.  The bug in this patch didn't affect the other SQL related services.

I changed the service account from the normal one to one that is local administrator to the server (me). 

I was then able to start the services.

I went into the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration tool and changed Database Engine -> Remote Connections to use Local connections only.

I restarted the engine service.

I then changed it back to using Local and remote connections Using TCP/IP only.

I restarted the engine service.

I then changed both services back to their normal service account and all is well.

I could not get the patch to apply under any circumstances or configuration that I tried and have given up on it in hopes that MS releases a new one for this real quick.

• Proposed as answer by aviand Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:32 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:10 PM
  • I am hitting the same issue on at least 3 systems. The update fails though WebUpdate or when executed locally though

SQLServer2005-KB948109-x86-ENU.exe. because I got tired of waiting for it to expand each time Ive just expaneded it to install from.

I first get the 29503 error when it fails to complete.

Code Snippet

**********************************************************************************
    Prerequisites Check & Status
    SQLSupport: Passed

Products Detected                         Language  Level  Patch Level       Platform  Edition
    SQL Server Database Services 2005 (SQLEXPRESS)  ENU       SP2    2005.090.3042.00  x86       EXPRESS
    SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005  ENU       SP2           9.2.3068  x86       EXPRESS

Product Installation Status
    Product                   : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (SQLEXPRESS)
    Product Version (Previous): 3042
    Status                    : Failure
    Log File                  : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    Error Number              : 29503
    Error Description         : MSP Error: 29503  The SQL Server service failed to start. For more information, see the SQL Server Books Online topics, "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" and "Starting SQL Server Manually."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product                   : SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005
    Product Version (Previous): 3068
    Status                    : Not Selected
    Log File                  :
    Error Description         :
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The workstation components indicate that it is already upgraded. Then I tried manually starting the service to receive this error:

Code Snippet

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=2&LinkId=20476

Error Number: 2
    Severity: 20
    State: 0

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorer.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()
    ===================================

I verified that the SQL Service Account has modify to MSSQL.1\DATA . In fact It has full control. My instance of MYSQL.1 is located below SqlExpress, not office. I got around this error by reseting the SQL Server instance to Local Service and then stopping it so the files would not be locked.

Though I notice when I try to re run the patch it insists on using the NT Authority credentials dispite the fact that the service is running as Local System. Right after that you can see the message that it is backing out

Is there any way to force the hotfix to run against the DB as a local service instead of the NT Authority System?

I was able to get the 17113 error but I forgot how I pulled it off.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Thanks for this. My auto update installed 948109 on Friday night and when I came into work on Monday morning SharePoint was reporting that it was unable to connect to the configuration database. Checking out the server I found that the SQL Server service was unable to start.

Have added the service account to the group SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$SERVERNAME$MSSQLSE and the service is now starting with sharepoint working as normal.

Kelv

• Proposed as answer by yup. _ Friday, December 02, 2011 6:41 AM
    Monday, September 01, 2008 9:22 AM