none
Insert XML node into multiple parent nodes in multiple XML documents

Question

• Hi

I'm attempting to insert a single node into multiple parent nodes using the values in that parent node to determine the value of the new node's value.

I have an origional XML document:

<Investment>
    	<InvestmentPortfolio>
    		<InvestmentAdministratorName>Investment Solutions</InvestmentAdministratorName>
    		<InvestmentPortfolioName>Banker</InvestmentPortfolioName>
    	</InvestmentPortfolio>
    	<InvestmentPortfolio>
    		<InvestmentAdministratorName>ABSA</InvestmentAdministratorName>
    		<InvestmentPortfolioName>AA Life</InvestmentPortfolioName>
    	</InvestmentPortfolio>
    </Investment>

Now I generate a unique number for each administrator & portfolio for all of my documents in the database

declare @portfolios table
    (AdministratorPortfolioId int not null identity(1,1), Administrator varchar(max), Portfolio varchar(max))

insert into @portfolios (Administrator, Portfolio)
    select distinct
    ref.value('InvestmentAdministratorName[1]', 'varchar(max)') as Administrator,
    ref.value('InvestmentPortfolioName[1]', 'varchar(max)') as Portfolio
    from
    @origional
    cross apply Document.nodes('//Investment/InvestmentPortfolio') R(ref)

Now I have a result set with the unique ID for each administrator & portfolio

AdministratorPortfolioId	Administrator	     Portfolio
    1	            ABSA	         AA Life
    2	            Investment Solutions   Banker

I'm now trying to update the XML document, inserting a new node (InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId) into each InvestmentPortfolio node containing the value for the administrator & portfolio as selected from my temp table

update @origional
    set Document.modify('insert (<InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>{sql:column("p.AdministratorPortfolioId")}</InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>) 
     as first into (/Investment/InvestmentPortfolio)[1]')
    from
    @origional
    join @portfolios p on p.Administrator = ref.value('InvestmentAdministratorName[1]', 'varchar(max)')
    	and p.Portfolio = ref.value('InvestmentPortfolioName[1]', 'varchar(max)')

Now my XML document look as follow:

<Investment>
     <InvestmentPortfolio>
      <InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>2</InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>
     </InvestmentPortfolio>
     <InvestmentPortfolio>
     </InvestmentPortfolio>
    </Investment>

As you can see the new node have been correctly added to the InvestmentPortfolio node but only for the first InvestmentPortfolio node. 

What can I do so that both instances of the InvestmentPortfolio nodes are updated?

Thanks,

Jacques

• Moved by Ai-hua Qiu Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:55 AM (From:Transact-SQL)
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:45 AM

Answers

• Try this solution.  It does use a a loop which is very similar to a cursor but should solve your problem.

I've also altered the XQuery slightly because the target for an update must be one node.  So we get round this by saying "get me the first node which does not have a PortfolioId", then loop until there aren't any more.  I've also used the exist method of the XML data type instead of the value method which is preferred in joins.

DECLARE @origional TABLE ( Document XML )

INSERT INTO @origional
    SELECT 
    '<Investment>
    	<InvestmentPortfolio>
    	</InvestmentPortfolio>
    	<InvestmentPortfolio>
    	</InvestmentPortfolio>
    </Investment>'

(AdministratorPortfolioId int not null identity(1,1), Administrator varchar(max), Portfolio varchar(max))

select distinct
    from @origional

SELECT 'before' s, *
    FROM @origional

DECLARE @id INT

SET @id = 0

WHILE EXISTS ( SELECT * FROM @origional WHERE Document.exist('/Investment/InvestmentPortfolio[not(InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId)]') = 1 )
    BEGIN

UPDATE @origional
    	SET Document.modify('insert (<InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>{sql:column("p.AdministratorPortfolioId")}</InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>) 
    	 as first into (/Investment/InvestmentPortfolio[not(InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId)])[1]')
    	FROM @origional
    	CROSS APPLY Document.nodes('//Investment/InvestmentPortfolio[not(InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId)]') R(ref)
    		CROSS JOIN @portfolios p 
    	WHERE ref.exist('InvestmentAdministratorName[.=sql:column("p.Administrator")]')	= 1
    	 AND ref.exist('InvestmentPortfolioName[.=sql:column("p.Portfolio")]')	= 1

SET @id = @id + 1

IF @id > 99 BEGIN RAISERROR( 'Too many loops! %i', 16, 1, @id ) BREAK END

END

SELECT @id loops

SELECT 'after' s, *
    FROM @origional

• Marked as answer by KJian_ Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Because you specified the first InvestmentPortfolio node in your statements as follows:
    as first into (/Investment/InvestmentPortfolio) [1]

I recommend that you use PATH mode to generate XML from a SELECT query, please refer to the following statements which can get the result as you expected. Please see:

SELECT P.AdministratorPortfolioId,
    ref.value('InvestmentAdministratorName[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS InvestmentAdministratorName,
    ref.value('InvestmentPortfolioName[1]', 'varchar(max)') AS InvestmentPortfolioName
    FROM @origional CROSS APPLY Document.nodes('//Investment/InvestmentPortfolio') R(ref)
             INNER JOIN @portfolios P ON ref.value('InvestmentAdministratorName[1]', 'varchar(max)')=P.Administrator
                         AND ref.value('InvestmentPortfolioName[1]', 'varchar(max)')=P.Portfolio
     FOR XML PATH('InvestmentPortfolio'),ROOT('Investment')

The result is:

<Investment>
     <InvestmentPortfolio>
      <AdministratorPortfolioId>2</AdministratorPortfolioId>
     </InvestmentPortfolio>
     <InvestmentPortfolio>
      <AdministratorPortfolioId>1</AdministratorPortfolioId>
     </InvestmentPortfolio>
    </Investment>

For more information, please see:
    Examples: Using PATH Mode
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510462.aspx

Thanks,
    Ai-Hua Qiu

Ai-hua Qiu[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by fugitsu Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:11 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply.  Given the example yes what you have given me will work.  Unfortunately the XML document I'm trying to manipulate contains thousands of other elements so it's not really going to work that well.

I've settled for a more complex solution, one in which I determine how many InvestmentPortfolio elements there are in each document, then looping through them and updating each element.  Not the perfect solution, and I hope to get a better solution as we'll most certainly will have to do this exercise again in the future.

select distinct
    ref.value(
    'declare namespace finrep-inv-ent="http://www.aforbes.co.za/finrep/investments/entered/2009-07-01";
    finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolioInvestmentAdministratorName[1]', 'varchar(max)') as Administrator,
    ref.value(
    'declare namespace finrep-inv-ent="http://www.aforbes.co.za/finrep/investments/entered/2009-07-01";
    finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolioPortfolioName[1]', 'varchar(max)') as Portfolio
    from
    FSRDigitalDataDocs
    cross apply DigitalDataDoc.nodes(
    'declare namespace xbrli="http://www.xbrl.org/2003/instance";
     declare namespace finrep-inv-ent="http://www.aforbes.co.za/finrep/investments/entered/2009-07-01";
    //xbrli:xbrl/finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolio') R(ref)
    where FSRDigitalDataDocTypeID = 5

declare curResult cursor for
    	select FSRDigitalDataDocID, DigitalDataDoc, cast(cast(DigitalDataDoc.query(
    	'declare namespace xbrli="http://www.xbrl.org/2003/instance";
    	declare namespace finrep-inv-ent="http://www.aforbes.co.za/finrep/investments/entered/2009-07-01";
    	count(//xbrli:xbrl/finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolio)') as varchar(10)) as int)
    	from FSRDigitalDataDocs
    	where FSRDigitalDataDocTypeID = 5

declare @DocumentId int
    declare @Document xml
    declare @NodeCount int

open curResult
    fetch next from curResult into @DocumentId, @Document, @NodeCount

while (@@fetch_status = 0)
    begin
    	declare @index int
    	set @index = 1
    	while @index <= @NodeCount
    	begin
    		--Administrator
    		declare @administrator varchar(max)
    		set @administrator = @Document.value('
    		declare namespace xbrli="http://www.xbrl.org/2003/instance";
    		(/xbrli:xbrl/finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolio[sql:variable("@index")]/finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolioInvestmentAdministratorName)[1]', 'varchar(max)')

declare @portfolio varchar(max)
    		set @portfolio = @Document.value('
    		(/xbrli:xbrl/finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolio[sql:variable("@index")]/finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolioPortfolioName)[1]', 'varchar(max)')

declare @portfolioId int
    		select @portfolioId = AdministratorPortfolioId from @portfolios
    		where Administrator = @administrator and Portfolio = @portfolio

set @Document.modify('
    		insert (<finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolioInvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>{sql:variable("@portfolioId")}</finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolioInvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>) 
    		as first into (/xbrli:xbrl/finrep-inv-ent:InvestmentsSinglePortfolio[sql:variable("@index")])[1]')

--print convert(varchar(max), @portfolioId) + ' ' +@administrator + ' - ' + @portfolio;
    		set @index = @index + 1
    	end

update FSRDigitalDataDocs set DigitalDataDoc = @Document where FSRDigitalDataDocID = @DocumentId

fetch next from curResult into @DocumentId, @Document, @NodeCount
    end

close curResult
    deallocate curResult

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Try this solution.  It does use a a loop which is very similar to a cursor but should solve your problem.

I've also altered the XQuery slightly because the target for an update must be one node.  So we get round this by saying "get me the first node which does not have a PortfolioId", then loop until there aren't any more.  I've also used the exist method of the XML data type instead of the value method which is preferred in joins.

DECLARE @origional TABLE ( Document XML )

INSERT INTO @origional
    SELECT 
    '<Investment>
    	<InvestmentPortfolio>
    	</InvestmentPortfolio>
    	<InvestmentPortfolio>
    	</InvestmentPortfolio>
    </Investment>'

select distinct
    from @origional

SELECT 'before' s, *
    FROM @origional

DECLARE @id INT

SET @id = 0

WHILE EXISTS ( SELECT * FROM @origional WHERE Document.exist('/Investment/InvestmentPortfolio[not(InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId)]') = 1 )
    BEGIN

UPDATE @origional
    	SET Document.modify('insert (<InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>{sql:column("p.AdministratorPortfolioId")}</InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId>) 
    	 as first into (/Investment/InvestmentPortfolio[not(InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId)])[1]')
    	FROM @origional
    	CROSS APPLY Document.nodes('//Investment/InvestmentPortfolio[not(InvestmentAdministratorPortfolioId)]') R(ref)
    		CROSS JOIN @portfolios p 
    	WHERE ref.exist('InvestmentAdministratorName[.=sql:column("p.Administrator")]')	= 1
    	 AND ref.exist('InvestmentPortfolioName[.=sql:column("p.Portfolio")]')	= 1

SET @id = @id + 1

IF @id > 99 BEGIN RAISERROR( 'Too many loops! %i', 16, 1, @id ) BREAK END

END

SELECT @id loops

SELECT 'after' s, *
    FROM @origional

• Marked as answer by KJian_ Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:41 AM