none
Resolution, fit to screen, fit to page

Question

• I am very far from being a graphical artist designer.  One thing I notice is there is no fit to page or fit to screen option in SSRS.  Also, SSRS works in inches or centimeters.

I therefore wonder if poeple have method of handling clients expectation with regards to this.

i.e. do you specify how many inches it should take on specific resolution (using printer and screen regular resolutions) or is there a more elegant way to state that.

For instance: Report will be designed to fit on 10 inches wide with 1/2 inch margin wide on a 1280/1024 screen or a xyz/xxx printer resolution?

Is there a more elegant solution?  If you believe this is a recipe for disaster, let me know as well.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Antoine,

Thanks for your question. As you said, it is really need add this feature in SSRS. In my opinion, this feature may be in these two forms:

Form one

For one report, designer can specify different resolutions, for different resolutions, designer specifies one constant size. When the report representing it automatically detects the resolution then displayed the corresponding size.

Form two

For one report, there is one property named Auto fit to the resolution, since the designer selected this property, when the report representing it automatically detects the resolution then displayed the corresponding size.

In other suggestion, I would recommend you to submit a feedback to Microsoft Connect for this product limitation at this link: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback .

In your feedback, you can quote the URL to this thread, so that the whole conversation can be available. Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release.

Thank you Antoine and All for your valuable feedback again!

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 08, 2011 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Antoine,

Thanks for your question. As you said, it is really need add this feature in SSRS. In my opinion, this feature may be in these two forms:

Form one

For one report, designer can specify different resolutions, for different resolutions, designer specifies one constant size. When the report representing it automatically detects the resolution then displayed the corresponding size.

Form two

For one report, there is one property named Auto fit to the resolution, since the designer selected this property, when the report representing it automatically detects the resolution then displayed the corresponding size.

In other suggestion, I would recommend you to submit a feedback to Microsoft Connect for this product limitation at this link: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback .

In your feedback, you can quote the URL to this thread, so that the whole conversation can be available. Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release.

Thank you Antoine and All for your valuable feedback again!

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, July 08, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Thank you.  It apparently is already in the list of feature Microsoft would like to implement in future versions.

I added my vote to the following connect http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/428623/ssrs-fit-to-page and encourage others who believe it is a worthy addition to do the same.  The following feedback was given:

"Thank you for filing this feature request. We do hear this request fairly regularly and it is on our list. There's likely a duplicate request already submitted that you can vote for. I'm sending your request to the appropriate feature team to review. "

In the meantime, what I wonder is if it is wise to assure the client he would receive the report under specific dimension for specific resolution or if there is more to it than just resolution and render method?

For instance, Is a sentence like this:  "Report will be outputed in excel format and fit on 10 inches wide with 1/2 inch margin wide on a 1280/1024 screen or a xyz/xxx printer resolution" something we can assure or is it something to avoid altogether.

Friday, July 08, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Hi Antoine,

I am glad to hear that you had submitted your feedback to the Connector.

Although it is already in the list of feature Microsoft would like to implement in future versions, the experts would reference all of the different suggestions for the same feature. Since you had quotes the URL of this thread in the feedback, so our discussion should be refer to by our engineers.

If you have any other question, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Thank you,

My question is this:  If I design the report to fix X amount of inches on a screen of specific resolution.  Is my client assured to get same amount of inches under the same resolution viewing the report in excel or html?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Hi Antonie,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry for didn’t follow up your question in time due to the unusual alert mail.

For the condition you had mentioned in the last reply, my understanding is that: if there are many amount of inches on a screen of specific resolution, we should give it one default inches meanwhile allow user to select the other inches.

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Thank you Sharp,

I am not certain to understand your last answer.  Maybe my question lacks details.  Most of my report are sent in excel format via subscription.  My users then see the report on screen and often print them.  If the report does not fit, they ask me to modify it.  This can of course become an issue if multiple users are viewing my report on different screens and printers.

Are you saying you would simply design the report under specific resolution and allow the user to modify it afterward or am I misunderstanding your answer?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Hi Antoine,

Thanks for your reply.

I hope it like this: possible there are many solutions, for anyone of these solutions, we can specify more than one amount of inches when we designing the report, and set one of these inches as the default inches for this solution. When the report being displayed in the browser, the report automatically checks the solution of the current computer, then represents the default inches of this solution, if the default inches don’t satisfy the user, the user can select other specified inches of this solution. Finally, when you click on the click button on the webpage, the client print control prints the report based on the selected inches.

For the condition you had mentioned in the previous reply, the users see the report on screen then print them directly, in this case, the decisive condition is excel, I think it is hard to control the print setting of excel dynamically in Reporting Services level.

In addition, we just give our suggestions to the other engineers in the appropriate feature team, they will evaluated them carefully, since it is a demand had submitted by various of developers, they have a very strong possibility consider to add this feature in the following release.

I have quoted this discussion thread’s link in your suggestion, let’s waiting for the feedback.

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/428623/ssrs-fit-to-page.

If you have any other question, please feel free let me know.

Thanks,
    Sharp Wang

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:20 AM
  • This has been proposed for over four years now, can anyone comment on whether this feature will be included in an upcoming version?

Thanks! Josh Ash

Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:48 PM