none
"Failure sending mail: Unspecified error" for Excel rendering

Question

•  

Hi all

When using a subscription to send mail, I find that the report can be sent in any format apart from Excel, which gives me  the error: "Failure sending mail: Unspecified error".  As you can imagine, this doesn't give me much to go on!

I want to use Excel format as it retains the drilldown functionality (hiding / unhiding rows).  The ExecutionLog has the status as rsSuccess, but Subscription tab for the report shows the error.

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:41 PM

All replies

• After much investigation, I narrowed the source of the problem down to two circumstances occurring together - a section of the report that had more than about 100 rows, and the URL of a hyperlink embedded in the report.  When I changed the URL to http://www.google.com in the navigation it worked, but when I changed it to a very long mapquest URL it failed - suggesting that it was some combination of the URL length (158 characters) and the number of rows.

I have now added a hidden parameter to the report to indicate that it is going to be rendered as Excel and therefore the Jump to URL function can check this and leave the hyperlink out.  The parameter default is False, so the hyperlinks are there in interactive mode.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:51 PM
  •  

Hi JofPowell,

I'm having the same issue when rendering a report in PDF format, I get an error with the javascript:void(window.open()) function.

Could you please provide more information about how you solved the problem? I don't quite understand your workaround with the hidden parameters etc...

Regards,

Pieter

Monday, June 02, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Hi Pieter

On the report I've added a new parameter (it's not hidden actually, as I want to be able to select it) called RenderURLForExcelOrPDF.   Then in the Jump to URL property of the textbox which is going to contain the hyperlink I've put the following formula:

=IIf(Parameters!RenderURLForExcelOrPDF.Value = True, "<URL>", "javascript:void(window.open('<URL>'))")

This allows me to change the resultant hyperlink depending on which format I'm going to export the report to. 

There's no way that I can see of determining at the time of export what the destination format is and executing the code at that point, so you have to set it using the parameter before the report is rendered in the browser.

Hope this helps!

Monday, June 02, 2008 10:51 AM