none
How to transfer Data from local database to shared web server database

Question

• Dear All,

I am someone new to this field. I Have a doubt,  I have created a database in sql express 2005 and i need to transfer some tables to another database , but the problem is that the other database is in a remote location. So my doubt is that is there any method to transfer data from one data base to another database through internet.

One of my idea is to create a database in a web server and then upload these data to there and get it back in the other database. But when i tried to do this using sync framework i got an error and later i came to know that that shared web server databases does not support these facilities.

Can anyone help me to find a solution or any link helpful for solving this problem

Thanking You in ADVANCE...

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:01 AM

Answers

• Dear All,

I am someone new to this field. I Have a doubt,  I have created a database in sql express 2005 and i need to transfer some tables to another database , but the problem is that the other database is in a remote location. So my doubt is that is there any method to transfer data from one data base to another database through internet.

SQl server 2005 express edition doesnt have SSIS and import export wizard to transfer data.So these two option are ruled out.

You can use BCP to transfer data more details in this discussion.

Second option is you can create SSIS/imp export package on other machine point source to your current sql server express 2005 and destination as your destination DB.Make sure Enterprise and standard edtion only supports SSIS/imp export.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:14 AM

All replies

• You have the follwoing ways:

1. Export/Import wizard http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141209.aspx

2. Linked Server http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188279.aspx

3. SSIS http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc511477.aspx

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:04 AM
  • If target database is sql server, backup/restore also should work along with latheesh's ways.

Srinivasan

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Dear All,

SQl server 2005 express edition doesnt have SSIS and import export wizard to transfer data.So these two option are ruled out.

You can use BCP to transfer data more details in this discussion.

Second option is you can create SSIS/imp export package on other machine point source to your current sql server express 2005 and destination as your destination DB.Make sure Enterprise and standard edtion only supports SSIS/imp export.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Hi Jaya,

As other post, we can use Linked Servers to create a link between SQL Express and the web server and then run a 'SELECT INTO' statement to copy the data. Also we can use BCP to output the data to a file and then input the data into web server.

In addition, we can detach the database from SQL Express instances and then attach it to other server. Usually, SQL Express can only be a subscriber. It will encounter some issue if using replication with SQL Express as the publisher and primary server as the subscriber.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:10 PM