none
Exception has been thrown by the target of invocation (mscorlib)

Question

• From some reason, I can't browse anymore decision trees mining model objects. This is quite strange - I can create a data mining structure & object but I can't browse the tree and use other functionalities of the BI - instead, I get the error "Exception has been thrown by the target of invocation (mscorlib)".

Thanks for helping.

Monday, November 15, 2010 5:43 AM

All replies

• Can you provide additional information to help us repro the issue? What software are you using? Do you see the error when you browse any model, any decision trees model or a specific model? Does this happen on a single machine or several machines?

Regards,

Tatyana

Tatyana Yakushev [PredixionSoftware.com]
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:19 AM
  • It happens on this machine - SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer, Windows 7 X 64 Home.

The error is for any decision tree model. Thanks to you I also checked clustering in which I get the same error as well.

I would like to add that there were no issues till yesterday - everything worked perfectly. Unfortunatelly, since that, browsing is not functional.

Full error details are shown below.

Thank you.

===================================

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (mscorlib)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Designer.Host.DataWarehouseDocumentWindow.SetDesigner(IDesigner designer)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Designer.Host.DataWarehouseDocumentWindow.CreateView(IDesignerHost designerHost, Guid logicalView)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.PVsEditorFactory.CreateEditorInstance(UInt32 vscreateeditorflags, String fileName, String physicalView, IVsHierarchy hierarchy, UInt32 itemid, IntPtr existingDocDataIntPtr, IntPtr& docViewIntPtr, IntPtr& docDataIntPtr, String& caption, Guid& cmdUIGuid, Int32& ifCancelled)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Interop.NativeMethods.ThrowOnFailure(Int32 hr, Int32[] expectedHRFailure)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.FileProjectHierarchy.OpenFile(IFileProjectNode fileProjectNode, Boolean isNewFile, Boolean useOpenWith, Boolean showFrame, Guid& rguidLogicalView, IntPtr punkDocDataExisting, IVsWindowFrame& ppWindowFrame)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.Extensibility.ProjectItemExt.Open(String ViewKind)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.FileProjectHierarchy.OpenDesignerWindowEx(IComponent component)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Service.DataWarehouseDesignerService.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.IDWDesignerService.OpenDesignerEx(Object vsHierarchy, UIntPtr itemId, DwObjectKind objectType, String connectionString, String objectURN, Object[] arguments)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Service.DataWarehouseDesignerService.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.IDWDesignerService.OpenDesigner(Object vsHierarchy, UIntPtr itemId, DwObjectKind objectType, String connectionString, String objectURN, Object[] arguments)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Service.DataWarehouseDesignerService.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.IDWDesignerService.OpenDesigner(Object vsHierarchy, UIntPtr itemId, DwObjectKind objectType, String connectionString, String objectURN)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.PicassoMenuItem.Invoke()

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:12 AM
  • It seems that the issue is even more general - when I use BI (VS 2008) to create a new database and then I try to add a role, I get the following error:

Unable to create a new database role. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (mscorlib)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Designer.Host.DataWarehouseDocumentWindow.SetDesigner(IDesigner designer)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Designer.Host.DataWarehouseDocumentWindow.CreateView(IDesignerHost designerHost, Guid logicalView)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.PVsEditorFactory.CreateEditorInstance(UInt32 vscreateeditorflags, String fileName, String physicalView, IVsHierarchy hierarchy, UInt32 itemid, IntPtr existingDocDataIntPtr, IntPtr& docViewIntPtr, IntPtr& docDataIntPtr, String& caption, Guid& cmdUIGuid, Int32& ifCancelled)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Interop.NativeMethods.ThrowOnFailure(Int32 hr, Int32[] expectedHRFailure)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.FileProjectHierarchy.OpenFile(IFileProjectNode fileProjectNode, Boolean isNewFile, Boolean useOpenWith, Boolean showFrame, Guid& rguidLogicalView, IntPtr punkDocDataExisting, IVsWindowFrame& ppWindowFrame)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.Extensibility.ProjectItemExt.Open(String ViewKind)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.FileProjectHierarchy.OpenDesignerWindowEx(IComponent component)
       at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.VsIntegration.Shell.Project.FileProjectHierarchy.OpenDesignerWindow(IComponent component)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Wizards.RoleWizardPages.RoleWizardTask.Execute(WizardInputs wizardInputs)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:08 AM
  • An update - I uninstalled and then re-installed SQL SERVER 2008 R2. Unfortunately - the same error occurs.

Any creative ideas, please? If not, I guess that I'll have to format my C drive and re-install Windows 7, SQL SERVER R2, etc. :-(

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:47 AM
  • Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:00 AM
  • "Office 2003 Add-in: Office Web Components"? I tired to. Thanks, but still no change.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Were you able to find a solution to this?  This just started happening to me and it's impossible to view Execution Plans now.

Thanks!

Monday, February 28, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Can you please check the windown event log for any errors. This seems to be some permission issues.

Any software patches applied recently? or any firewall rules changes?

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:36 PM