none
Upgrade from SSRS 2008 to visual studio 2010/2012

Question

• Hi

I have a SSRS project made in 2008 is there any option to convert it onto visual studio 2010 or 2012 ?

i tried searching a lot but didn't get satisfactory answer even i tried to open SSRS project made in 2008 in visual studio 2012 but i am getting error of unsupport project :(

so do i have to make a new project in VS2012

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunately, that won't work.

SSRS 2008 requires BIDS (Visual Studio) 2008.

VS 2010 or VS 2012 won't work with SSRS 2008.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Hi Mahajan,

In your scenario, if the SSRS project made in 2008 was created by SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, then the report is a RDL file. The report created by Visual Studio is a RDLC file. RDL and RDLC files have important technical and terminology differences. RDL and RDLC are defined by an XML schema called the Report Definition Language. The schema for both file formats is identical. When convert RDL to RDLC file, the ReportViewer control, which processes .rdlc files, ignores the <Query> element of RDL. If a report definition contains a query, the control will not process it. In this case, you can try to convert it manually follow the steps below.

1. Rename the .rdl file to use the .rdlc file extension.
    2. In Visual Studio 2010, open the solution or project that will contain the report.
    3. Create or add the dataset that defines the data you want to use to your projector solution.
    4. On the Project menu, click Add Existing Item and then select the .rdlc file that you created in the first step.
    5. In the project, open the form or Web page that will contain the report.
    6. From the Toolbox, in the Data group, drag a ReportViewer control onto the form or Web page.
    7. In the ReportViewer Tasks smart tags panel, in Choose Reports, select the .rdlc file to use with the control.
    8. In the ReportViewer Tasks smart tags panel, in Choose Data Sources, select the dataset you want to use.
    9. Save all files, and then build or deploy the project to verify that the report contains the data you expect.

If this cannot convert successfully, we need redesign the report with Visual Studio.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:38 AM

All replies

• 17 hours, 56 views still no reply :(

no one interested to help me on this ??

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:37 AM
  • Hello,

When you are using SSRS 2008 then you have to use BIDS 2008 to create/edit your reports and BIDS 2008 is a plugin for Visual Studio 2008.

With SSRS 2012 you get the new SSDT = SQL Server Data Tools, which is a plugin for Visual Studio; but as long as you are using SSRS 2008 you have to use BIDS/VS 2008.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:01 AM
  • Thanks for reply but i already have SSRS project running made with VS2008 Business intelligence ,report server project.

But now as we have VS2010 and VS2012 so i want to upgrade SSSRS project made in VS2008 to VS2012 .

how can i do this .

I already tried to open in VS2012 but could n't open even after conversion.

Please help me on this 

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:53 AM
  • As I already wrote, if you have a report project for SSRS 2008, then you have to use BIDS 2008 and this is a plugin for Visual Studio 2008; you can't use VS 2010 or 2012.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, that won't work.

SSRS 2008 requires BIDS (Visual Studio) 2008.

VS 2010 or VS 2012 won't work with SSRS 2008.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Hi Mahajan,

In your scenario, if the SSRS project made in 2008 was created by SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, then the report is a RDL file. The report created by Visual Studio is a RDLC file. RDL and RDLC files have important technical and terminology differences. RDL and RDLC are defined by an XML schema called the Report Definition Language. The schema for both file formats is identical. When convert RDL to RDLC file, the ReportViewer control, which processes .rdlc files, ignores the <Query> element of RDL. If a report definition contains a query, the control will not process it. In this case, you can try to convert it manually follow the steps below.

1. Rename the .rdl file to use the .rdlc file extension.
    2. In Visual Studio 2010, open the solution or project that will contain the report.
    3. Create or add the dataset that defines the data you want to use to your projector solution.
    4. On the Project menu, click Add Existing Item and then select the .rdlc file that you created in the first step.
    5. In the project, open the form or Web page that will contain the report.
    6. From the Toolbox, in the Data group, drag a ReportViewer control onto the form or Web page.
    7. In the ReportViewer Tasks smart tags panel, in Choose Reports, select the .rdlc file to use with the control.
    8. In the ReportViewer Tasks smart tags panel, in Choose Data Sources, select the dataset you want to use.
    9. Save all files, and then build or deploy the project to verify that the report contains the data you expect.

If this cannot convert successfully, we need redesign the report with Visual Studio.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:38 AM
  •  Hi All,

There is an easy way to upgrade SSRS 2008 projects to SSRS 2012. Please follow the following steps:

1. Download Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2012 from Microsoft. I can't put the link here. Please Google it.
    2. Run the installation package that you have just downloaded. You will see an installation wizard that is very similar to SQL Server 2012 installation wizard.
    3. Follow the wizard. When you get to ‘Installation Type’ step, please select ‘Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2012’ and click next. It is a bit confusing option. But you don’t need to worry about it. It will not install a new SQL Server instance. It will only install the things you downloaded. If your SQL server 2012 is 32 bit version, you may try ‘Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2012’.
    4. Follow the wizard to complete the installation and reboot your machine. Now, you will see a new templates group – Business Intelligence in your VS2012 New Project window. It will be the same if you try to it in VS 2012 SQL Server Data Tools.
    5. Open you SSRS 2008 project with VS 2012. Click Ok button on One-Way upgrade popup and finish your upgrade as you normally did to other types of VS project upgrades.
    6. Close the current VS 2012 and reopen your upgraded project with VS 2012 again. You will get a SSRS 2012 project that is exactly the same as your SSRS 2008, but in different version.

The instructions from previous post was for using the project template in Reporting > Reports Application. It is for other purposes and not the best fix to the initial question.

Regards

• Edited by Tony108 Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:57 AM