none
SQL 2008 R2 or SQL 2012

Question

• Hi,

We currently run our main applications on SQL 2000 sp4 single server (yes, we know sql 2000 is out of date...)

About half year ago we started  tests in order to upgrade our SQL 2000 server to SQL 2008 R2 cluster and now we are stay at the middle (about 50 %) of upgrade project.

Last weeks we start to think about possibility to upgrade to SQL 2012 instead SQL 2008 R2....

We read about SQL 2012 new features (sql 2012 "always on" and others) and we already know that we need to transfer DB to SQL 2008 from SQL 2000 before moving to SQL 2012...

We want to ask your opinions about our upgrade options: do we need to stay with our SQL 2008 R2 upgrade project or start new project - upgrade to SQL 2012 ?

Thanks,

Igor

Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It always depends on the expenses and features, If you need this feature even in future and you have the cost then you may Upgrade to 2012. But if you didn't have the required cost then it difficult.

I hope this is helpful.

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question
    OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem
    Elmozamil Elamir Hamid

MyBlog

Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hello,

Taking the license costs out of the picture. I recommend to go to SQL 2012, but that's depend on your needs. Also consider to evaluate which edition you need 

Javier Villegas | @javier_villhttp://sql-javier-villegas.blogspot.com/

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Hello,

Taking the license costs out of the picture. I recommend to go to SQL 2012, but that's depend on your needs. Also consider to evaluate which edition you need

currently there're a lot of compatibility issue with SQL 2012 if installed side-by-side with other SQL Server version of as inplace-upgrade and many client application do have problems as well.

Therefore I would recommand that you do a larger testing with SQL 2012 in your environment and you get no problems that start with SQL 2012 otherwise stay with SQL 2008R2.

Over the next few weeks Cumulative Update - CU#1 had just been released 3 days ago - and eventually a Service Pack may reduce the compatibility problems with SQL 2012 or application have been updated to support SQL 2012 and at that time the Windows Server 8 may be available and than you should probably consider to use Windows Server 8 Core as operating system for your SQL Server 2012 installation.

As you write yourself you need to upgrade to SQL 2008R2 first anyway as you can't upgrade your database directly from SQL 2000 to SQL 2012.

About the licensing cost, some of the licensing term will change for  SQL 2008R2 by end of July and you probably will no longer be able to get new installation with SQL 2008R2 depending whether you've a license agreement with Microsoft. As such the licensing cost for SQL 2008R2 with the upcoming license change will be similar to SQL 2012 for newly bought SQL 2008R2 license.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Thanks for the answers right now

You see we are running SQL 2000 now -  we usually don't do frequent SQL upgrades, so I am just afraid that if we will upgrade to SQL 2008 we will stay with SQL 2008 for the next 10 years....

>>currently there're a lot of compatibility issue with SQL 2012 if installed side-by-side with other SQL Server version of as inplace-upgrade and many client application do have problems as well.

We are not going to install other SQL version side-by-side and we cannot do an inplace upgrade from SQL 2000 - so it is not an issue

>>many client application do have problems as well.

What kind of applications ?

We have old VB6 applications, and new COM+/.NET applications

Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:02 PM