none
Replication : The process coule not read file????

Question

• Hi.everyone.I use two computer in workgroup.I use A to be a publisher and distributor ,B to a Subscrible.When i create a snop in A computer and Create snopshot in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\repldata\unc",when I use "view Synchronization Status" in B computer, the show "job already  success start",but in A computer sqlserver error log show "Message
    Replication-: agent LIUQINA\SERVER2005-TestTran-Tran-LIUQIANHOME\HOME-6 failed. The process could not read file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\ReplData\unc\LIUQINA$SERVER2005_TESTTRAN_TRAN\20070409150285\name_2.pre' due to OS error 3.".  The publisher snapshot agent is servername\administrator.

I find a lot of message in internet ,but no one can help me .I try use same account and password in two computer.but no help.

Please tell me why and how to solve it ? Thanks.

Monday, April 09, 2007 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hello liuqian5036

You must use a UNC (Universal Naming Convention) for the path. A local path is not a valid path for the snapshot folder. For example, you should use \\<ServerName>\ReplData instead of "C:\....". You should share this folder on the network and give the snapshot account the necessary access rights to reach that folder. (read, write and modify is enough)

This address is specified when you configure the distributor. So you may go to the Replication folder in SQL Server instance you want to work on and then right click on the Replication folder and click Distributor Properties and click Publishers... item in the left panel. You will see Distribution Database column in the view and <Distributor Name>. Click the "..." just at the right side of it and change "Default Snapshot Folder" path as i told you above.

Ekrem Önsoy

MCP, MCDST, MCDBA, MCAD.Net, MCSD.Net, MCSA, MCSE

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hello liuqian5036

You must use a UNC (Universal Naming Convention) for the path. A local path is not a valid path for the snapshot folder. For example, you should use \\<ServerName>\ReplData instead of "C:\....". You should share this folder on the network and give the snapshot account the necessary access rights to reach that folder. (read, write and modify is enough)

This address is specified when you configure the distributor. So you may go to the Replication folder in SQL Server instance you want to work on and then right click on the Replication folder and click Distributor Properties and click Publishers... item in the left panel. You will see Distribution Database column in the view and <Distributor Name>. Click the "..." just at the right side of it and change "Default Snapshot Folder" path as i told you above.

Ekrem Önsoy

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Thank you very much,enaksanamun .but i have another question,When i run subscription ,I can see the replication is success,but In "View Synchronization Status" dialog it always run don't tell me it success.Why?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:48 AM
  • You are welcome liuqian5036.

I need you to tell me the story more specific please. For example, what kind of replication do you use? (Snapshot, Transactional, Merge).

What do you see on the Synchronization Status window? OK icon or Error icon? And please check the history out. Write here what it says on the history.

Ekrem Önsoy

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:12 AM
  • Hi.Ekrem.Thank you.I am sorry to say I  mistake the conception of "Synchronization Status Window",It's ok,no problem.Thank you help.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:30 AM
  • Hi Ekrem, I have the same problem with OS error code 53 (Network path not found), I am using this replication over the internet. I have defined the aliases in the SCM. What should I do next?
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:54 PM