none
.DAT files

Question

• Hello Professionals,

First of all I would like to thank all forum members who helped me so far to become expertise in SSIS.

Here is my question, Generally I used to get flat files which are in text format (.txt) but after later sometime I started getting files with .dat extension and I tried to open with texpad and also using flat file connection and it is showing some special characters.  In any way can I deal with this .dat files to get data out of it.Is there any process to convert dat files to text files?

Thanks in Advance,

Muralidhar.

• Edited by Murali dhar Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:16 PM adding some points
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

•  .dat is a fairly common file extension to add to a file that is nothing more than a bunch of binary data in whatever format the person who created the file decided was right. There are no standards here, or magic wand converters. but If you .dat file which is actually text inside that then chaning the extension and encoding will work. Some time .dat are also zipped text file in that case unzip it first and convert the extension to .txt

Thanks and Regards, Prajesh Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Yes I sir I did that common things.. After seeing data I'm asking this question as it showing me some special characters.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Do you need that special character data or can you extract the actual data you want  from .dat file ?

Thanks and Regards, Prajesh Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:31 PM
  • I just want to make sure whether source files itself are wrong or do I need to anything more.

above image is how my data should look like .. but below is the issue if I convert .dat to .txt and open in textpad editor. Both are very small files which textpad can handle..

• Edited by Murali dhar Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:43 PM changed
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Seeing the file, I believe the data in top side in tabular format is in text format and you can extract those, PLease discuss with the team who provides you these dat file and what they want out of it and actually how they generated it in the first place. is there any reporting need of this data ?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:44 PM
  • there is no reporting need. I just want to discuss with them only if I cannot handle this .dat files so opened this thread.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:47 PM
  • You can surely utilize the readable data.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:51 PM
  • Might be I'm not clear. Where do I have readable data. The top image is the one which I used to get in a very good manner .txt file.  Issue is with when I started getting .dat files If I open as we discussed converting into .txt and using textpad it is showing as second image.. basically those are two images.

Thanks.

• Edited by Murali dhar Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:11 PM cgange
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:03 PM
  • ok, so you need to talk to the team that provides the text file. Tell them you are getting .DAT file, and it is not readable in SSIS. They will look in their process, what is causing the issue..

Thanks, hsbal

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:17 PM