none
recurring VS_NEEDSNEWMETADATA error...whats wrong?

Question

• Hi guys, wonder if you could help.

Ok, basically, my SSIS flow gets data from different excel worksheets and puts in the db.

For some reason its being very incosistent. I fixed all the problems I was having but one component keeps coming up with the [ component "Excel Source" (1)" failed validation and returned validation status "VS_NEEDSNEWMETADATA" ] error.

So, I click on the component, it asks if i want to fix the metadata stuff, I say yes, it fixes it, I run the app, everything's cool.

The I run the app again and again it comes up with this f** error?

Is there anyway SSIS can't just ignore this metadata stuff??

thanks!
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:58 PM

Answers

• You cannot ignore metadata, that is how SSIS understand the columns, its data types etc.,
    If you are using same source connection in the Data Flow Task and your source excel file keeps chaning, then everytime you change the excel file you need to refresh the metadata.

If your number of excel inputs are consistent (say 4 excel files), then create 4 seperate transformations for each excel file, so that you will not have to refresh the metadata again and again.

Other option could be using a script task to programatically create the source , destination and mappings. Refer the below link for that, it will give you an idea.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1371348&SiteID=1

Thanks
    Karun

Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:24 PM

All replies

• You cannot ignore metadata, that is how SSIS understand the columns, its data types etc.,
    If you are using same source connection in the Data Flow Task and your source excel file keeps chaning, then everytime you change the excel file you need to refresh the metadata.

If your number of excel inputs are consistent (say 4 excel files), then create 4 seperate transformations for each excel file, so that you will not have to refresh the metadata again and again.

Other option could be using a script task to programatically create the source , destination and mappings. Refer the below link for that, it will give you an idea.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1371348&SiteID=1

Thanks
    Karun

Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:24 PM
  • yeah, excel files not consistent. But yeah, great idea on the script componets, cheers!!
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:33 PM
  • If your number of sources is consistent, it is easier to add few more transformations to the package than going through the process of doing things in the programmatic way (or call me lazy  )

Thanks

Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:25 PM
  • yeah, file di Excel non è coerente. Ma sì, grande idea sul componets script, cheers!

Ho cliccato,erroneamente su "PROPONE COME RISPOSTA" non considerarla valida OK
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:08 PM