none
BCP error: Unexpected EOF encountered in BCP data-file when importing a *.txt file

Question

• I try to import a text file to a sql table by BCP on sql 2008 server and login as Adminitrator.

After I ran    bcp KDMSales.dbo.ADCImport in C:\addacd.txt -f adcfmt.fmt -T -S server2k8   I got errors:

Starting copy...
    SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0
    Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Unexpected EOF encountered in
    BCP data-file

0 rows copied.
    Network packet size (bytes): 4096
    Clock Time (ms.) Total     : 1

The command line I used to generate the format is: 

bcp KDMSales

.dbo.ADCImport format nul -T -n -f adcfmt.fmt

The generated adcfmt.fmt is:

1       SQLCHAR             0       10      "\t"     1     Recordid                     SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    2       SQLCHAR             0       12      "\t"     2     oldmatchcode                 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    3       SQLCHAR             0       12      "\r\n"   3     newmatchcode                 SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

and the table was created by

CREATE

TABLE [dbo].[ADCImport](

[Recordid] [varchar]

(10) NULL,

[oldmatchcode] [varchar]

(12) NULL,

[newmatchcode] [varchar]

(12) NULL

)

ON [PRIMARY]

The text file addacd.txt (25k rows) looks like:

17242     24451HN6082A           
    17243             0000000           
    17244     02139SK6002L           
    17245             0000000           
    17246     03836SO6217P03836SO6130P
    17247     06073ML6045H06073SE7045H
    17248     03031SA4489P03281SA4065B

There is no any identity column in the table, and I tried creating a test table by not Null, char...I also created a test text file, and tried by using -U and -P in BCP command line.....none of these work. The server I used is on a 64bit operating system,  then we processed the exported text file to a 32bit server and imported it back to the sql table on 64 bit server.   I was able to export another sql table to a text file by BCP with a file format on 64 bit server.   I wonder how I failed with BCP importing....is it something to do with two different servers?  I'm convering the BCP from server 2000 (on another server) to server 2008 then will use it in a SSIS package.  I did check many sites for the solutions but no luck....

Your help is highly appreciated.  

Kathy
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don’t think we can use BCP to generate a format file by using the existing fixed file. The following link describes how to use the BCP utility to create a format file for a particular table. Please see:
    Creating a Format File
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191516.aspx

Thanks,
    Ai-Hua Qiu

Ai-hua Qiu[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Ai-hua Qiu Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hi Ai-hua,

Your reply "I don’t think we can use BCP to generate a format file by using the existing fixed file" answered my question.  Thank you.  

According to your link, it looks like I'm on the right track by using:

bcp KDMSales.dbo.ADCImport format nul -c -f adcfmt.fmt -T

In this case, as long as I have a text file I should use bcp with c switch to create a format file for charater data (B option in your link).....since my file is a fixed text file so I should add t switch with delimiter "" to overide the default "\t"....the following command line works for me: 

bcp KDMSales.dbo.ADCImport format nul -c -t "" -f adcfmt.fmt -T

It looks like we need know in advance what kind of delimiter in the import text file before we can use the BCP to generate the format file.....

Kathy
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:30 PM

All replies

• try with

bcp KDMSales.dbo.ADCImport in C:\\addacd.txt -f adcfmt.fmt -T -S server2k8 

If you can't fix something try with bigger hammer
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Thank you, qoranzadro for the reply....my one is on the local c drive,  it doesn't work when I use C:\\....as you suggested.

Denis, thank you too for the link.   Actually I read this link before but didn't get anything out from it.   This time I read it again, and it leads me solved the problem :-)  

What happend is my text file is not a tab delimited file and it is a fix file.      The BCP that I used to generate the file format provided me a tab delimited format and I took it by granted that the text file is a tab delimited file since I exported it as a tab delimited file and expected to be returned with a same type of text file.   Perhaps I should add a parameter (?) in the BCP file format command to specify for the fix file format instead of default tab delimited file.  I wonder what I did wrong here:   

bcp KDMSales

.dbo.ADCImport format nul -c -f adcfmt.fmt -T

Anyway after I read your link I paid attention to the text file and its format.... we found out it's not a tab delimited file but a fix file and we revised the format file manully by replacinge "\t" to "".   It works now.    Thank you! 

Kathy
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:16 PM
  •  

The following bcp command line generated a correct format file (adcfmt.fmt) for my import fixed text file (addacd.txt):

bcp KDMSales

.dbo.ADCImport format add.txt -S server2k8 -T -f adcfmt.fmt -c -t ""

PS: switch t specifies the field delimiter and add.txt is an empty output file

perhpas there is a better way to do it.....so far this is one that I could find.   Is it possible to use BCP to generate a format file by using the existing fixed (or any text) file instead of a sql table ? 

Kathy
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

I don’t think we can use BCP to generate a format file by using the existing fixed file. The following link describes how to use the BCP utility to create a format file for a particular table. Please see:
    Creating a Format File
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191516.aspx

Thanks,
    Ai-Hua Qiu

Ai-hua Qiu[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hi Ai-hua,

Your reply "I don’t think we can use BCP to generate a format file by using the existing fixed file" answered my question.  Thank you.  

According to your link, it looks like I'm on the right track by using:

bcp KDMSales.dbo.ADCImport format nul -c -f adcfmt.fmt -T

In this case, as long as I have a text file I should use bcp with c switch to create a format file for charater data (B option in your link).....since my file is a fixed text file so I should add t switch with delimiter "" to overide the default "\t"....the following command line works for me: 

bcp KDMSales.dbo.ADCImport format nul -c -t "" -f adcfmt.fmt -T

It looks like we need know in advance what kind of delimiter in the import text file before we can use the BCP to generate the format file.....

Kathy
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:30 PM