none
Can't uninstall SQL 2012 ? Error Code 0x84b10001

Question

• I keep getting this error when I try to install, repair or uninstall SQL 2012 which won't run because of another error? Here is the error.. 

sql server has encontoiured the following error: 

Could not load file or assembly \\\ C:/program files/microsoft/sql server/ 110 blah blah blah huge path / Microsoft.SQLserver.Configuration.Setup.Extension.DLL  Error Code 0x84b10001

I'm also not able to open SQL server management studio 2012. I have Management Studio 2008, but I need 2012 for my remote host which is using 2012. So, when I try with 2008 to open my db at the host, I get an error that I need 2012. This is driving me nuts.. 

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with 8gig of ram, solid state drive, on a lap top, latest updates, etc,. I also have VIsual Studio 2012 Pro, Webmatrix, and everything else works fine. Just this one damn SQL server Management studio that I need for it's visual tools to do relationships with, etc, and it doesn't work. Any help would be most appreciated.. I'm going to try to update SQL server again and the computer in general to see if that helps.. 

A search gives me a lot of stuff about 2008 sql, but nothing with the same error, so I'm afraid to try those solutions since they don't seem to be the same problem as I'm having!

Tim

Tim

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Tim,
    It seems SQL Server 2012 is not installed successfully. Please uninstall it totally and install SQL Server 2012 again.

Can you find the Microsoft.SQLserver.Configuration.Setup.Extension.DLL? it seems it corrupted.

Uninstall an Existing Instance of SQL Server (Setup): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx.

If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Thanks.

Maggie Luo
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hi Tim

I will go with Maggie. Try to reinstall SQL server 2012 & share status.

You can try one thing. Replace Microsoft.SQLserver.Configuration.Setup.Extension.DLL from some other existing installed SQL server 2012 & try again.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hello Tim,

1. Check if you have csc.exe under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\". If yes, then take the backup of the registry key and rename csc.exe

2. The issue could be due to a corrupt media. Try downloading the media again and give it a try.

3. Replace the file missing from a different server

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,
    It seems SQL Server 2012 is not installed successfully. Please uninstall it totally and install SQL Server 2012 again.

Can you find the Microsoft.SQLserver.Configuration.Setup.Extension.DLL? it seems it corrupted.

Uninstall an Existing Instance of SQL Server (Setup): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx.

If you have any problem, please feel free to let me know.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Thanks.

Maggie Luo

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hi Tim

I will go with Maggie. Try to reinstall SQL server 2012 & share status.

You can try one thing. Replace Microsoft.SQLserver.Configuration.Setup.Extension.DLL from some other existing installed SQL server 2012 & try again.

Regards,
    Rohit Garg
    (My Blog)
    This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click Mark as Answer and Vote as Helpful on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hello Tim,

1. Check if you have csc.exe under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\". If yes, then take the backup of the registry key and rename csc.exe

2. The issue could be due to a corrupt media. Try downloading the media again and give it a try.

3. Replace the file missing from a different server

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved?

If you are satisfied with our solution, I’d like to mark this issue as "Answered". Please also feel free to unmark the issue, with any new findings or concerns you may have.  

Thanks.

Maggie Luo

Monday, March 04, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Hi Maggie,

I'm sorry I've not answered this quicker. I have been ill with the flu! Yikes. Anyway, I've tried several times to re-install SQL server of all types. I have SQL express working using my Visual Studio 2012 SQL tools, and I can connect to hosted websites with Webmatrix, etc,. Just can't get the SQL 2012 management studio to work with my host and I need it because this is the version of sql my host uses. I will try these recommendations and get back with you and the others who have been so nice to recommend fixes here for me. Again, I apologize for taking so much time. I've been ill so it slowed me down a lot! I'll try the solutions and get back with you folks!

God speed

Tim

Tim

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Maggie, I can't get SQL 2012 to uninstall at all. It is looking for a file? I'm taking it that it wants the DLL that's missing. I try to uninstall and it error's and when I try to reinstall with a fresh EXE downloaded it won't work either, and I get the original message. I tried to repair as well, and  again it's looking for this file. I did a search for this file 'DLL' and no luck. I'm stumped! Help. Someone asked about a Registry setting above, but I didn't quite understand. If you do understand, please explain. I'm not big on messing with the registry, but I will if explained.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Tim

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Don, I looked under the path above and didn't see csc.exe? So, I'm assuming this isn't the problem. Thanks so much for the answer though..

Tim

Tim

Monday, March 11, 2013 5:28 PM