none
Reinstallation of SQL Server 2008 R2, Can't get Past Setup Support Files

Question

• I have a machine(Windows 7 (64)) that had a developer version of SQL Server 2005. I installed SQL Server 2008 R2 (developer) as a separate instance on the same machine. However, I wanted to have the SQL Server 2008 R2 to be the default instance. So, I posted on one of the forums and found out that I couldn't just reassign the 2008 to be the default, rather, I needed to uninstall both 2005 and 2008 and then reinstall the 2008 as the default instance. I was able to uninstall all of the components of 2005 and 2008 except curiously "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup (English)". When I try to uninsatll this it says that some other products (R2 Common Files and R2 Database Engine Shared) are still installed (not that I could verify though).

Then I tried to reinstall the SQL Server 2008 R2 (developer edition). From the SQL Server Installation Center I selected "Installation" and "New installation or add features to an existing installation". The setup started and installed "Setup Support Files". However, after that, the dialog box disappeared and there was no further installation. No errors or warnings. Just no installation. I rebooted, deleted the Microsoft SQL Server directory... tried multiple attempts to reinstall only to have the installation stop after "Setup Support Files". The "Repair" option starts (and ends) with the same "Setup Support Files" dialog box which then disappears. What's next?

Michael
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:31 PM

Answers

All replies