none
Must issue STARTTLS command...

Question

• I got this error when trying to execute and send email.

Error: sending message
    Server response: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. n7sm2025314wfl.23
    |@

I am trying to send from and to a gmail account. It works perfect when on corporate/private email server. I am using xp_smtp_sendmail from sqldev.net.

But I need to send via gmail/yahoo. It seems I need to trigger a STARTTLS but I really couldn't find concrete example on how to do it. If ever this has already been answered here or somewhere else, please just post a link as your solution.

Thanks for all your replies/answers in advance.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

STARTLS means the Gmail server is asking for authentication, and xp_smtp_sendmail  does not provide ways for getting authenticated with Gmail or Yahoo.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Since you are using xp_smtp_sendmail which is from sqldev.net, you may need to invovle them on this issue. Actually, within SQL Server, you could use SQL Server Database Mail and send mails via sp_send_dbmail system stored procedure. For more informaion, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175887.aspx.
    Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

STARTLS means the Gmail server is asking for authentication, and xp_smtp_sendmail  does not provide ways for getting authenticated with Gmail or Yahoo.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Since you are using xp_smtp_sendmail which is from sqldev.net, you may need to invovle them on this issue. Actually, within SQL Server, you could use SQL Server Database Mail and send mails via sp_send_dbmail system stored procedure. For more informaion, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175887.aspx.
    Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 3:33 AM