none
What happend with NS in 2008?

Answers

• Well, sadly (at least IMHO), Microsoft has opted to break with their normal feature depreciation policy and completely remove SSNS from the next version of SQL Server. The following snippet, buried deeply in the July CTP's ReadMe file, contains the only planned announcement for this decision.

"SQL Server Notification Services will not be included as a component of SQL Server 2008, but will continue to be supported as part of the SQL Server 2005 product support life-cycle. Moving forward, support for key notification scenarios will be incorporated into SQL Server Reporting Services. Existing Reporting Services functionality, such as data driven subscriptions, addresses some of the notification requirements. Features to support additional notification scenarios may be expected in future releases."

Reporting Services, although a superb product in itself, cannot satisfy the majority of the SSNS instances that I have seen or developed. This "announcement" will adversely affect many of my clients and I'm investingating ways to adapt those instances into some other technology, SSRS, home-grown, etc.

HTH...

Joe

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:55 AM

All replies

• Well, sadly (at least IMHO), Microsoft has opted to break with their normal feature depreciation policy and completely remove SSNS from the next version of SQL Server. The following snippet, buried deeply in the July CTP's ReadMe file, contains the only planned announcement for this decision.

"SQL Server Notification Services will not be included as a component of SQL Server 2008, but will continue to be supported as part of the SQL Server 2005 product support life-cycle. Moving forward, support for key notification scenarios will be incorporated into SQL Server Reporting Services. Existing Reporting Services functionality, such as data driven subscriptions, addresses some of the notification requirements. Features to support additional notification scenarios may be expected in future releases."

Reporting Services, although a superb product in itself, cannot satisfy the majority of the SSNS instances that I have seen or developed. This "announcement" will adversely affect many of my clients and I'm investingating ways to adapt those instances into some other technology, SSRS, home-grown, etc.

HTH...

Joe

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 11:55 AM
  • NS 2.0 and SQL Server 2005 NS are supported per standard Microsoft Product Support Lifecycle. Therefore, applications deployed with NS continue to work.

The key decision is that SQL 2008 will not ship with any version of NS. Plan is to provide support for notification/alerting scenarios into the RS product in future SQL Server releases.

The decision is based on architecture design choices to allow for richer support in future releases with RS.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Hi Joe,

What are the features of SQL-NS that are not in SSRS? I easily spotted that data driven subscription is supported in SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition but not in Standard. While SQL-NS is in both Enterprise and Standard editions.

TIA

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:06 AM
  • Hi Amit,

I have a current product that utilizes SQL-NS 2005, using it as a publish-subscriber paradigm on top of sql-server 2005. Realizing that SQL-NS would not be present in SQL 2008, could you suggest some alternatives to help me achieve the following?

1. Designed for a heavy load in terms of both subscriptions and input events

2. Simple rule logic, relatively low number of rules

3. Easy development of additional match logic

4. Support for batch matching capabilities to reduce performance hit

Regards,

Ziv G.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:30 PM
  • SQL-NS 2005 support will continue for entire lifecycle of the SQL 2005 release. See: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/Default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=sql%20server%202005

If you have a dependent product, it is best to continue to use SQL-NS 2005. It is okay to migrate your data sources and applications to SQL 2008 as needed. However, you will need to setup a side-by-side installation of SQL 2005 (for NS software and database) and SQL 2008. 

There is no NS equivalent product in SQL 2008. Support for alerting scenarios will be planned for future releases of Reporting Services. The existing Reporting Services data driven subscriptions feature is okay for simple rules based subscriptions. However, the feature is not meant to provide heavy publisher / subscriber alerting.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Note that the Notification Services re-dist on the web was updated to work against SQL 2008 database.

Even though NS is not part of SQL 2008, existing applications based on NS software from SQL 2005 can continue to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=614FFDF3-C608-4BD3-9061-AE37DCC81E2B&displaylang=en

Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:00 PM
  •  

Yes, I've done some testing of the new components against a 2008 database and it seems to work well. Thank you for providing the redist!

Joe

Monday, November 03, 2008 9:18 PM
  • AmitGoyal and others,

The link in your posting no longer works.  I have searched the download section of the Microsoft site and cannot find this add-in for SQL 2008.  Does that mean it simply doesn't exist any more, or is it hiding somewhere ?

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks in advance
    Simon
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:43 PM
  • If you are working with a platform that utilizes SQL Notification services have a long talk with management.  Beyond that, write a solution from scratch and avoid deprecation in such a way where YOUR product becomes deprecated.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:26 AM