none
SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Objects (SMO) standalone installer

Question

• Is there a standalone installer for SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Objects (SMO)? I have been unable to find a download location for a R2 package. It was installed on my machines as part of the Express edition, but I need a standalone installer for individual client deployment. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Travis
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• The SMO redistribution package will be part of the SQL Server 2008 R2 Feature Pack, but that has not yet been released. I am not sure when it will be available, but they typically trail the release by several weeks.

The currently available feature packs are the SQL 2008 feature pack for released code, and the old SQL Server 2008 R2 November CTP feature pack, which is CTP-qaulity.

Alan Brewer [MSFT] SQL Server Documentation Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by TravisG Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:44 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TravisG Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:16 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Thanks Alan.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:45 PM
  • The SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM Feature Pack released this morning. You can now download it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ceb4346f-657f-4d28-83f5-aae0c5c83d52

Alan Brewer [MSFT] SQL Server Documentation Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by TravisG Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TravisG Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by TravisG Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Your link goes to a Download page but the download never starts.  When I click on the download link it redirects to a text file called "SQL Server 2008 R2 Feature Pack.txt"

Funnily enough, inside this file is some text that says...

SQL Server 2008 R2 Feature Pack

Where can I get the feature pack?

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Sorry about the .txt file being the download, I've emailed the release managers to fix that.

But the Feature Pack downloads are currently available on the page. A SQL Server Feature Pack is actually a collection of many different downloads. When you read farther down on the page, you'll see that each feature has some sort of download link that should take you to the download page for that individual feature. For example, if you navigate down to the section labelled Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 Shared Management Objects, you will see download links for x86, x64, and IA64 SMO redist packages.

What you should get from the big Download button at the top of the feature pack page is a .htm file with instructions for navigating to the various downloads listed lower in the page.

Friday, May 28, 2010 1:02 AM
  • Still the same, in English there is a html file and in German a txt file. MS Very cool!
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:55 PM
  • I see the HTML file for the English version, but there aren't any links in the file. I've even opened the file with Notepad to verify. Please fix this issue.

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Do you think they will discontinue SMO or come up with a better version, because lets say we have to Create some file like instnwind.sql which creates a full database (WITH DATA) , then how do we create the Script file (With the Data also ) using SMO

Regards

Bikram Grewal

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:46 AM