none
ODBC drivers

Question

• Okay, this is a weird question/problem.  I have a 64 bit database server running on 64 bit Windows.  This is just fine until I moved a 32 bit database over to it.  My DB is trying to get some reporting to work and discovered that there are no ODBC drivers for Excel on this new 64 bit box.   Are there 64 bit drivers for MS Excel? And access for that matter?  If so, where are they?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

• I think that what Riyaz is trying to say is that on 64 bit machines, there are both two copies of odbcad32.exe and two copies of the odbc driver dll files (ideally).  He suggests that it might be plausible that you are running the 64 bit version of odbcad32 with only 32 bit drivers available for Excel files or vice versa.  odbcad32.exe is located in both %systemroot%\system32 and %systemroot%\syswow64 for a 64 bit machine.  Perhaps the file would be visible through the other build of the tool.

One thing to note is that DSNs are architecture specific (as they are stored in the registry) as are the driver dll files.  If you have a 64 bit version of SQL Server and only 32 bit drivers for Excel, then SQL Server will be unable to read Excel files.

All that being said, ODBC drivers are specific to the target datasource, not the environment in which they are going to be hosted.  The Excel drivers for ODBC are to enable ODBC data access to Excel files, not to enable Excel to use ODBC data sources.  Therefore, you do not need the ODBC Excel drivers to access SQL Server through Excel, just the standard MDAC or SQLNCLI drivers.

Hope that helps,

John

Friday, February 08, 2008 12:38 AM

All replies

• Excel uses the same ODBC driver on 32 and 64 bit machine. Seems like it might for the 32 bit drivers and is unable to find it. An easy way to know if the driver does exist is to look for the file sqlncli.dll under the following directories:

(assuming you have system directories on C drive)

C:\windows\system32 (for 64 bit driver)

C:\wndows\SysWow64(for 32 bit driver)

If the 32 bit driver is not present, you should be able to install it via sqlncli.msi and see if the reports work.

HTH

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I'm a little confused however. We have the SQL Native client under the drivers tab of the ODBC dialog box.  What we do not have is the Microsoft Excel drivers as they are listed on any other server we have.   I am presuming we need this in order to enable our Excel reports to pull data from our SQL database.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:38 PM
  • I think that what Riyaz is trying to say is that on 64 bit machines, there are both two copies of odbcad32.exe and two copies of the odbc driver dll files (ideally).  He suggests that it might be plausible that you are running the 64 bit version of odbcad32 with only 32 bit drivers available for Excel files or vice versa.  odbcad32.exe is located in both %systemroot%\system32 and %systemroot%\syswow64 for a 64 bit machine.  Perhaps the file would be visible through the other build of the tool.

One thing to note is that DSNs are architecture specific (as they are stored in the registry) as are the driver dll files.  If you have a 64 bit version of SQL Server and only 32 bit drivers for Excel, then SQL Server will be unable to read Excel files.

All that being said, ODBC drivers are specific to the target datasource, not the environment in which they are going to be hosted.  The Excel drivers for ODBC are to enable ODBC data access to Excel files, not to enable Excel to use ODBC data sources.  Therefore, you do not need the ODBC Excel drivers to access SQL Server through Excel, just the standard MDAC or SQLNCLI drivers.

Hope that helps,

John

Friday, February 08, 2008 12:38 AM