none
How much data I can store with 100MB space

Question

• Hi,

I was about to purchase web hosting plan with SQL Server 2005 DB. That guy is giving me only 100 MB space.

Any idea how much data can I store in 100 MB?

I am planning to take this space for an e-commerce website.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:20 AM

Answers

• I'd clarify exactly what that 100MB constitutes. Is that 100MB for your whole website eg aspx files, database etc or just space for your database (including or excluding log file)?

Lets assume its just for the database (excluding the log file) you'll be unsurprised to hear that you can store 100MB but what this means in practical terms is impossible to say. How much logging will you have in your database? Will you have any large text fields? You can eat into 100MB pretty quickly these days and as its an ecommerce site, i'd suggest that you might need more scope to increase that amount.

every day is a school day
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Hi Anand

Adding to richbrownesq

Let Assume your using Database for data only
    It is depended on  recovery model also

lets say if your using full recory model most of your t-log file accupies most space.
    simple recory model not allow to you fill the T-log file like Full recory.

SNIVAS
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:11 AM

All replies

• I'd clarify exactly what that 100MB constitutes. Is that 100MB for your whole website eg aspx files, database etc or just space for your database (including or excluding log file)?

Lets assume its just for the database (excluding the log file) you'll be unsurprised to hear that you can store 100MB but what this means in practical terms is impossible to say. How much logging will you have in your database? Will you have any large text fields? You can eat into 100MB pretty quickly these days and as its an ecommerce site, i'd suggest that you might need more scope to increase that amount.

every day is a school day
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Hi Anand

Adding to richbrownesq

Let Assume your using Database for data only
    It is depended on  recovery model also

lets say if your using full recory model most of your t-log file accupies most space.
    simple recory model not allow to you fill the T-log file like Full recory.

SNIVAS
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:11 AM
  • Well, that is the point that depends what e-commerce engine will you run, how many visitors will you have and how will you log their activity.
    The more visitors you will have then more space you will need for logging user activity for further analysis you will require.
    But 100 mb is just for a beggining if you act in this manner - you will have to clear your logs often.

If you specify more information about the project - we can discuss this in more details.

-------------------------
    Starwind Software developer
    • Proposed as answer by Paul Svirin Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:19 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:19 PM