none
File without extension

Question

• I have to read data from several Log Files (having row delimiter as ‘CR-LF’ and column delimiter as ‘tab’) and load the data into database. I am facing couple of issues which are as follows,
    ·         The log files do not have any file type\extension and have format as ‘xyz_log.yyyymmdd.abc’. Meaning the file name has many dots (.) in between and it does not have any extension like ‘.txt’, ‘.csv’, or ‘.xls’  to it. Therefore, using File System Task, I renamed the file to ‘xyz_log.yyyymmdd.abc.txt’; however I am not able to read the data from it. 

·         Since, I was not able to perform above task, I manually renamed one of the file to xyz_log.yyyymmdd.abc.txt and using Import Export Wizard, Bulk Load and BCP tried to load the data into db. However, I am getting error as “The column data for column “Header” overflowed the disk I/O buffer”. In the file I do not have a column named as Header so why I am getting this error and how to overcome it?

·         The strange part is when I am manually copying the data of this file into another file and calling this new file into SSIS, I am able to load the data without any error. So, is there any way I can automate this to achieve my requirement?
    Could you please help?
    Thanks in advance!!

Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:48 PM

All replies