none
SQL Server Management, error 29506

Question

• I tried to install this evening SQL Server Management Express on my Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium Edition + Sql server 2005 express.

The problem is that at the end of the installation this error comes out:

"Si è verificato un errore imprevisto durante l'installazione di questo pacchetto. Probabile problema con questo pacchetto. Il codice errore è: 29506"

What could I do?

Thanks Luke

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:25 PM

Answers

•  

I read the solution here but I don understan How tu run CMD.exe like adminsitrator and how to run installer from cmd shell.

So I put the SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi on C:\

so here his step by step instructions and works find for me:

1.-first find cmd shell icon on START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESORIES (Optional you can search CMD on your vista and you fin the icon)

2.- Right click on it and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

3.-Go to C:\ (you can type cd \ (enter) your prompt look like this C:\>)

4.-type "SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi" (Enter) and the installer runs like if you have made doble click on it)

Thats all.

I try to install for a couple days and this is the only way I hope this could help some body.

(sorry for spell error Im from Mexico and I try my best)

REGARDS

georgegar@hotmail.com

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:33 AM
  •   OK, I solved the problem seeing another topic of this forum.

I've just entred in cmd.exe as Administrator, then I run from there the MSI package and everything now is fine.

Thanks anyway and sorry if I didn't read it before....

Luke

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:17 PM

All replies

I've just entred in cmd.exe as Administrator, then I run from there the MSI package and everything now is fine.

Luke

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 1:17 PM
  • SOLVED

FINALLY

SOLVED

You need to do a little bit of every thing.

first, yes, download the ssmsee from microsoft, make sure of the size 39.418 mb, theres a version of 40 .146 mb .

second. go to the mssql file and reset the file permision and put mssql, mssqlx and data to full control on ALL users.

third; Do not run the installer from your own drive, if you run it (i dont know yet why) from your local drive it wont work, run the installer froma usb or cd.

finally it work, it run and you can work whith sql express or nor mal sql on a vista machine.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:53 PM
  • the data files already had the administrator group set to full access when I encountered the problem

running the installer from commandline as administrator solved the problem for me, thanks Luke, this was the only solution I found via live search
    Monday, January 21, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Thanks Luke, I got the same error with the x64 version and with your solution it installed without any problem!

Saturday, April 05, 2008 4:36 PM
  •  

I read the solution here but I don understan How tu run CMD.exe like adminsitrator and how to run installer from cmd shell.

1.-first find cmd shell icon on START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESORIES (Optional you can search CMD on your vista and you fin the icon)

4.-type "SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi" (Enter) and the installer runs like if you have made doble click on it)

Thats all.

I try to install for a couple days and this is the only way I hope this could help some body.

REGARDS

georgegar@hotmail.com

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:33 AM
  • georgegar: Thanks! It works great! I was loking for any resolution for an hour.
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 8:25 PM
  • i tried run command prompt as an administrator, and it worked perfectly.
    thx for the tricks.

Regards,
    Hafiz Arraja
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:17 AM
  •  

Thanks,verygood!!!!
    Friday, August 08, 2008 4:11 AM
  •  

mines isn't woring Sad

In the administrator command prompt, i get this message "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" ?? help?

the command i typed in was

C:\>SQLServer2005_SSMSSE_x64.msi

Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Thank you - you helped me too

Sunday, August 31, 2008 1:24 PM
  • problem is not solved at my system, using vista 32 bit, home premium

kindly suggest

Rajesh
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:18 PM
  • By the time I've found this, I hope you have solved your problem.

Anyway I think this can be usefull for future reference:

Your .msi must be on C: to run it that way, or you must provide the complete path to the .msi (something like C:\Users\yourUser\Downloads\SQLServer2005_SSMSSE_x64.msi).

Friday, October 31, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Installing as admin from the command line worked for me too.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:17 PM
  • How extremely Bizzar! I allowed it to run as admin etc and didn't work, but does from command prompt lol, very weird.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Fresh Install of Windows Vista 64 I7, Priv Command Line solution worked.  Saved a lot of time here, thanks
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:17 AM
  • It works perfect on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit as well.

Thanks
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:21 PM
  • thx, this really helped me
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:24 PM
  • YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've been fighting with this thing for upwards of 2 hours. Reinstalling everything thinking that something went wrong.   

Something not mentioned is this.
    If you saved the file to your desktop, when typing in the command line, make sure you type in the location of the saved file.  If it's on Desktop, then type that in (not "downloads").  I was an idiot the first 5 times.  :)

Also, anybody else wondering if 2005 SQL works on Windows 7.... I don't know yet,  But I DID just finish getting it installed.  Should be ok.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Thanks LukeDJ87 and georgegar...
    you both ar right thats work perfect thanks
    Regards
    Mohandar
    MLdodwani
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Hey guys,

I tryed the command prompt thing, but it didn't work for me.
    I have put the .msi on the C: drive..

When I type: SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi

Nothing happens, just a little confirm if i want to run the app. and then nothing happens just the cmd starts over again.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 7:06 PM
  • I have come up with another solution for those who still can't get it to work! 

I am running Vista x64 on my laptop & I tried everyone's suggestions like doing command line and running under Admin but I could not get it to work!  I wasted a good 2 hours in fact trying all different way to get it to work!!!

Finally I came across another forum that suggested downloading Service Pack 2 so I did and vuala it worked.  So if all else fails try downloading service pack 2.

Good Luck :)
    Monday, January 04, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Running Win7 64bit.  ANd experienced the 29506 error.  As usual no obvious answer on MSDN etc.

The solution outlined by georgegar@hotmail.com more or less worked for me. 

There is obviously something written back to the install program  somewhere along the line.  Even though I am the administrator of the machine I was running on I still had to
    1) Set the permissions on the SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_X64.msi file to full control.
    I then started a command prompt as administrator, and ran C:\SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_X64.msi , note it failed if I just tried SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_X64.msi as by default the CMD prompt (at least on my system) starts in c:\windows\system32 (if you start it as Administrator)

Regards

GKW

• Proposed as answer by Nexenizer Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:49 PM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Thanks Georgegar, your solution helped me out as well. Strange because I was already logged in with an Administrative accound, but I got error 29506. Running from a command prompt "As Administrator" indeed solved it, because the installer ran just fine.

Thanks again.
    .NET Developer & Infrastructure Engineer.
    • Proposed as answer by Marco Montero Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:58 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Greetings.

Same issue here. Thank you for the various steps, especially including each step to use "run as administrator" via cmd.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:50 AM

Luke

Brilliant advise. I did this and it worked a treat. Maximum kudos!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:38 AM
  • That was great help. Thanks it worked for me also.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Thanks for your help.
    Friday, June 04, 2010 10:53 AM
  • You have to include every bit of the file location, ala:

"c:\SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi"

Be sure to include the c:\

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 1:42 AM
  • I read the solution here but I don understan How tu run CMD.exe like adminsitrator and how to run installer from cmd shell.

Thats all.

REGARDS

georgegar@hotmail.com

THis thread was very usefulll............

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Thanks everyone - especially GeorgeGar - your example of exact commands is very helpful!  This solution worked for me.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:33 PM
  • - This program isn't installed by default with SQL Server. - The error message refers to "error 29506"; completely unhelpful. - You have to run the application as administrator explicitly, even though the program requests administrator permissions during install. - You have to run it via a command prompt which you launched as administrator, because you can't run an MSI as administrator directly. What a disgrace.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Gracias wey, eres bien chingon.

For those who dont speak spanish I said.

Thank you buddy, you kick some fucking asses...

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Absolutely worked...  THis happens with many installations on Win V,7 and 2008.  Even some applications must be RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:00 AM
  • That works really great!

I was having that same problem installing on a Win 7 Home Premium. But running the installation with the cmd as admin works fine. I doubted before I saw it working.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I could not keep my self from giving my feedback as well.

I have windows 7 home premium

1. installed the SQLEXPR.EXE successfully (it automatically installed the 64bit version)
    2. I could not install the SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi

I solved as you said
      - I put the SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi in C:/ 
      - start
      - type "cmd"
      - right click -> run as administrator
      - cd C:/
      -SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi
      - solved!!!

Antonis 
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:59 PM
  • hii..
    i am getting the same error while installing SQL server2005 in windows 7 -64bit.
    i have followed the above steps but in cmd i am still getting an error that SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.msi is not recognized as an internal or external command.I should also mention that my windows are in D: drive.Please help me out in this situation as early as possible. :-/
    • Edited by miccky Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Solved; thx Luke;

pressed Start; typed cmd; right-clicked and ran as administrator;

once in command prompt, navigated to directory containing .msi file (x64 version); ran it -> worked perfectly!

Friday, August 10, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Thank You So much!!It works fine....
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:56 AM
  • This also worked for me.

Thank you!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:24 AM
  • It works ..Thanks A lot..

I Forgot to "Run As Administrator"..It mandatory..

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Thank you! my problem is already solved, what I did was move the file to disk c and run it from the cmd C: \> SQLServer2005_SSMSS.msi to avoid mistakes and ready! ...

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:13 AM