none
SQL Install - C: Drive

Question

• We are currently having a "lively" discussion between our DBAs and Server Builders and I am interested in what others are doing.  Our DBAs want to take the default SQL install into the C: drive, making sure that NO logs are written to C:.  That way there is no chance for the C: drive to become full, crashing the box.  Server guys are insisting that we install to a drive other than C:.

I would appreciate any discussion re: what others consider best practice , industry standard, if such a things esist.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:13 PM

All replies

• The server builders are system admins who don't know SQL Server, I don't think it is practical to install SQL Server in other drives  however you can create databases in other drives.  If you are using all subsystems you need to install SQL Server in your C drive. 

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:20 PM
  • Agreed not placing the SQL data and log files and the system drive. Some files cannot though be redirected to another drive than the system drive. Therefore with specific files needed for SQL Server, you won´t be able to redirect them somewhere else.

Jens K. Suessmeyer

---
    http://www.sqlserver2005.de
    ---

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 5:51 PM