none
Connection Failed through Report Builder 3.0 or BIDS 2008 Report Designer

Question

• When I connect to report server througth Report Builder 3.0 or BIDS 2008 Report Designer,

I got the following error :

Connection failed!

Unable to connect to the server that is specified in the URL, 'http://xxxx/ReportServer'.
    Make sure that the server is running, the URL is correct, and you have permission to use the server.

I sniffered the report builder and  found  the 401 Unauthorized error.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Send:
    POST /ReportServer/ReportService2010.asmx HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; MS Web Services Client Protocol 2.0.50727.3603)
    Accept-Language: zh-CN
    Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8
    SOAPAction: "http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2010/03/01/ReportServer/IsSSLRequired"
    Host: aic0-backup.qcs.qcorp.com
    Content-Length: 344
    Expect: 100-continue
    Connection: Keep-Alive

Receive:
    HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
    Content-Length: 0
    WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
    WWW-Authenticate: NTLM
    Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 02:24:57 GMT
    Connection: close

But when I aceess the report server through IE, everything is Ok. I sniffered IE and found IE can pass the Authorization code to Report Server.

I packed the server and client with SQL Server 2008 Sp1 and no any affect.

In the rsreportserver.config, I have:
    <Add Key="SecureConnectionLevel" Value="0"/>

<Authentication>
      <AuthenticationTypes>
       <RSWindowsNegotiate/>
       <RSWindowsNTLM/>
      </AuthenticationTypes>
      <EnableAuthPersistence>true</EnableAuthPersistence>
     </Authentication>

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

HTTP 401 error means you are unauthenticated to access the web page.

Please right click the application and choose Run as administrator when you start it.

Thanks.

Tony

Yao Jie Tang -Microsoft Online Community
    • Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Friday, May 28, 2010 9:14 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

To De-Bug the connection issue I Shall  take the Report builder 3.0 question First.

1] Report builder 3.0 connection issue.

This was released with SQL server 2008 R2 and  can only connect to SQL server 2008 R2 , This is because the schema has been extended to allow for the extra functionality sadly is not  backward compatible. However you say the server is pached to SQL 2008 SP1.  when you browse to   http://xxxxx/reportserver what SSRS version number do you get?

FYI:-"POST /ReportServer/ReportService2010.asmx" is the new schema 2008 R2  for native or sharepoint intergrated mode. trying this post on a an earlier version will return non authorised as the webservice by this name is not there.

"POST /ReportServer/ReportService2006.asmx" is SSRS 2005 & 2008 in  sharepoint intergrated mode

"POST /ReportServer/ReportService2005.asmx" is  SSRS 2005 & 2008 in native mode.

2] SQL Server 2008 SP1 BIDS connection issue

Please can you look at the report Properties and confirm the "Target server URL"

from http://xxxxx/reportserver

Have you tried running BIDS as adminsitrator (Windows User access controll!) ?

Hope this helps Robert Edgson
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:21 PM
  • 1. Ther SSRS Version is 10.0.2531.0.

2. Ther target server url of report is correct and my AD account in the Administrators group of my computer

and the SSRS server.

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:21 PM
  • You must run RB or BIDS in Vista or above. Please add your AD account as content manager explictly.
    Have fun with Reporting Service
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

HTTP 401 error means you are unauthenticated to access the web page.

Please right click the application and choose Run as administrator when you start it.

Thanks.

Tony

Yao Jie Tang -Microsoft Online Community
    • Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Friday, May 28, 2010 9:14 AM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 4:19 PM