none
What is Transact-SQL

Question

• I want to know what is the Difference between T-SQL and SQL?
    Main Purpose of T-SQL?
    Why T-SQL is used?
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:49 AM

Answers

• Transact-SQL is the Microsoft extension to the ANSI/ISO standards based SQL language. It does implement most of the standard SQL language, but some elements are missing or not implemented completely (or deviate from the standard). It also has additional elements that are not available in the standard SQL.

Most of the extensions are provided to implement specific business or practical need (like FILESTREAM to handle unstructured data, HIERARCHYID to handle hierarchical data, etc.).
    Plamen Ratchev
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:13 PM

All replies

• SQL-92 is SQL standard which should be in all implementations of SQL. T-SQL is Microsoft version of SQL, it could be said, as extended SQL-92.

HTH's Stanko.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Here is it defination

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189826(SQL.90).aspx
    Failure in Life is failure to try...
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:58 AM
  • In short T sql is  microsoft version of sql
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Transact-SQL is the Microsoft extension to the ANSI/ISO standards based SQL language. It does implement most of the standard SQL language, but some elements are missing or not implemented completely (or deviate from the standard). It also has additional elements that are not available in the standard SQL.

Most of the extensions are provided to implement specific business or practical need (like FILESTREAM to handle unstructured data, HIERARCHYID to handle hierarchical data, etc.).
    Plamen Ratchev
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Is Sybase SQL still referred to as "Transact SQL"?  I haven't kept up since the change of the millenium so I am not sure.  Originally, "Transact SQL" was the Sybase version of SQL that came out of the 80's.  Then for a time it was jointly Microsoft and Sybase version of SQL.  Now it is the Microsoft version, but I am no longer sure about what the Sybase version is called.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Yes, Sybase still uses Transact SQL in their latest versions.
    Plamen Ratchev
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Yes, Sybase still uses Transact SQL in their latest versions.
    Plamen Ratchev

Thank you for picking me up, Plamen.

:-)

I wasn't always Sybase illiterate.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Kent,

When you're going to get rid of your dual personality?
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:58 PM