none
Can I install BIDS without installing SQL Server?

Question

•  

Hi

Can I install just Business Intelligence Development Studio without installing SQL Server?

Thanks,

Salman Shehbaz.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Salman,

Yes you can install Bussiness Intelligence Studio without Sql Server. You need to run sqlrun_tools.msi file available in Tools\setup folder of your Sql Server 2005 CD/DVD and then choose client components -> Business Intelligence Development Studio. Continue through the rest of the installation and you will find a icon under Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio.

Refer this link and in Step 7 choose
    "Work Station components" and in Step 8 you need to choose the option,"Client components" and then inside that select Bussiness Intelligence studio http://sql-articles.com/index.php?page=articles/install/insql.htm

You can also download BIDS from here

- Deepak
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Salman,

Yes you can install Bussiness Intelligence Studio without Sql Server. You need to run sqlrun_tools.msi file available in Tools\setup folder of your Sql Server 2005 CD/DVD and then choose client components -> Business Intelligence Development Studio. Continue through the rest of the installation and you will find a icon under Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio.

Refer this link and in Step 7 choose
    "Work Station components" and in Step 8 you need to choose the option,"Client components" and then inside that select Bussiness Intelligence studio http://sql-articles.com/index.php?page=articles/install/insql.htm

You can also download BIDS from here

- Deepak
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:32 AM
  • I tried following your link, but I don't see any option to install BIDS without SQL Server.    I am looking to install BIDS 2008 on a box that already has SQL Server 2005 Developers Edition on it.   I do not wish to uninstall 2005.
    Monday, October 05, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Came across this old thread looking for the answer. Found an article that worked for me:
    http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1807
    • Proposed as answer by Combatc21 Friday, May 27, 2011 1:42 PM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Can you help me locate the same (BI Studio) for SQL 2008 SP1?

i need to confirm if BI Studio is available as a free redistributable package (e.g. we can have SQL management studio if we install express edition) I have spent some time in looking for a separate redistributable package for SQL 2008 Business Intelligence Development Studio over the internet and Microsoft site, but cannot seem to find it. I have tried to just copy the sql_bids.msi file from the licensed setup that i have and run it on a Windows Xp machine. Problem is it does not do anything. I have integrated SSRS 2008 with MOSS 2007, and now need to give by business analysts just the BI studio to create and deploy reports. handing them SQL server 2008 media is not practical.

thanks,

Adnan Shamim
    Monday, October 11, 2010 10:50 AM