none
rsAccessDenied

Question

• Hi,

Scenario:

SQL Server: 2008 R2

User Account Control Setting: Default. Cannot lower it down because of security team concerns

<My Server> added to Local Intranet. Cannot move it to Trusted Sites.. as if I do so, my web application doesn't work

Error:

Permissions granted to user '<My Server>\<My User>' are insufficient for performing this operation. (rsAccessDenied)

Full rights to <My User>:
        - Report Manager > Site Settings > Secuirty > Roles = System Administrator, System User

- Report Manager > Folder Settings > Security > Roles = Browser, Content Manager, My Reports, Publisher, Report Builder

Is there a way I could fix this w/o lowering my UAC setting, w/o adding <My Server> to Trusted Sites, w/o using Run as Administrator?

Please advise

Microsoft Techie

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• :bump:

Microsoft Techie

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi {P},

The Windows Vista operating system provides a new security feature named User Account Control (UAC). User Account Control lets users perform common tasks as non-Administrators. Windows user accounts that are members of the local Administrators group can run most applications as if they using the Standard User account.

Besides, I suggest you that refer to the following articles:
    Connect to SQL Server from Windows Vista: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326612(v=sql.105).aspx
    Configure a Report Server for Local Administration on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb630430(v=sql.105).aspx

In your case, I think that you have got the answer to deal with the permission issue. We can right-click on the “Internet Explorer” and select run as administrator.

Regards,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Hi:

The suggested "Configure a Report Server for Local Administration on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008" (I am using Vista) has not been helpful. It basically says open your Firewall port 80 for Report Services, then put your Report Manager URL in Trusted Sites. Neither of those steps worked for me.

Then it goes into discussing how to set up Report Service roles, which is impossible if you can't get into Report Manager in the first place. I have spent hours scrutinizing the web on this problem - it seems like a common one - with no success.

William Ellis

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:45 PM