none
the server was not found or was not accessible

Question

• Hi

I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express and I have created Instance and Database and Tables

but now I've got a problem  SQL Server doesn't work (does not open) it gives me this message

a network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to sql server

the server was not found or was not accessible. verify that the instance name is correct and that sql server is configured to allow remote connections. (provier: named pipes provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to sql server) (microsoft sql server, erro: 53)

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may check this article.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    My Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Are you connecting to the server using SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME?  Is the SQL Server Browser service running?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2006/03/23/558651.aspx is still relevant

Thanks,

Andrew Bainbridge
    SQL Server DBA

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem, or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Basic tutorial Tutorial: Getting Started with the Database Engine

Detailed troubleshooting How to Troubleshoot Connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

• Marked as answer by KJian_ Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by KJian_ Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:05 PM
  • I dont know I just installed Express edition with default name
    i was able to open it at first but i think i tried to install a new instance, during installation i got an error then every time I try to open the old one i got that error

many times I removed it and reinstalled it but the same error occur..

actually i dont know many about it I just needed for it to create a very simple database to connect with Visual Studio

now even I can't create databases in visual studio 2010, it gives me the same error..
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:30 PM
  • I think it's time to use SQL Server Configuration Manager to see how many instances of SQL Server you have, and what their names are, and if they are started.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:43 PM