none
Managed SQL Server Installer has stopped working...

Question

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008, i choosed SQL Server default feature installation. i am getting error at last stage of wizard...following is the description.. 

Description:
      Stopped working

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: setup100.exe
      Application Version: 10.50.1600.1
      Application Timestamp: 4bb6742c
      Fault Module Name: mscorwks.dll
      Fault Module Version: 2.0.50727.4200
      Fault Module Timestamp: 4a9ee32d
      Exception Code: c0000005
      Exception Offset: 00000000001870b3
      OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.274.10
      Locale ID: 16393

Please help me out i have tried the installation for several times..

• Moved by Vikram JayaramMicrosoft employee Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:12 PM Moving to RTM forums as R2 has now RTM'ed. Beta forums are only for those on RC, CTP3 or TAP customers (From:SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup and Upgrade)
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

could you pls. paste the setup log (Summary.txt)? It can be found in path like

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\"

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:06 AM
  • I had a similar issue trying to install either Cumulative Update 1 or 2 - and I found the cause was the new DotNet FrameWork 4.

I renamed my v4.0.30319 directory to BAD in both C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 and C:\Windows\Mirosoft.NET\Framework .

One I did that - the installer worked fine.

Joseph W. Leathlean
    • Proposed as answer by Deriven Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:26 PM
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 3:15 AM
  • I couldn't get past the Setup Support Files installation without Joseph's workaround.  I then renamed the folders back to normal right before clicking the final Install button .. else I got a "couldn't find ...\machine.config" file.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:28 PM
  • I've found now that I have the same problem trying to update SQL 2008 SP1 with CU9.

I've filed a bug on the issue:  https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/573043/sql-server-2008-r2-cumulative-updates-wont-install-with-dotnet-framework-4-0-30319

Joseph W. Leathlean
    Friday, July 30, 2010 9:45 AM
  • I was pulling my hair out until I found this thread.  Renaming the .NET Framework 4 folder worked for me.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Thanks. You saved lot of my time.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Just uninstall DotNet FrameWork 4 via the Control Panel, reboot, then install SQL 2008 R2.  Your next windows Update should replace the DotNet FrameWork 4
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:31 PM
  • I had a similar issue trying to install either Cumulative Update 1 or 2 - and I found the cause was the new DotNet FrameWork 4.

I renamed my v4.0.30319 directory to BAD in both C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 and C:\Windows\Mirosoft.NET\Framework .

Joseph W. Leathlean
    Thank you Mr Joseph
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:42 PM

Joseph W. Leathlean

Thank you Mr Joseph

I did all the suggested things and still no success.

DA

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Would you please share/upload SQL Server setup logs, you can upload log folder to file sharing service like SkyDrive.com

to locate SQL Server setup logs check-out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Ahmed, this crash happens before such a log folder is created, so this is not possible.

This appears to be an open issue with the Microsoft product identifed.  Is there a KB article for this?  The closest thing I've found is this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-ZA/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/0b5eb887-beac-4cd2-9f4a-fd668699b681

Views expressed do not represent those of my employer.

Friday, March 08, 2013 8:49 PM
  • Would you please share  SQL server logs under

% temp%\sqlsetup*.log.

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:32 AM
  • I actually got an answer back on my submitted bug.

Apparentlyt the problem occurs when you try to install from a Network Share.  I had extracted the installation to a network share for installing over the network.

I have noticed with some of the latest CU's that this doesn't appear to be happening anymore - at least not for me.

If it's still happening - try copying the installation directory to a local drive and installing from there.

Joseph W. Leathlean

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:40 AM
  • I am automating an install from the Deployment Share using MDT 2012.  It does work if I remove the references to .NET 4.0 when installing from the share, so their answer is not satisfying, but I appreciate the bug submission.

Views expressed do not represent those of my employer.

Friday, May 24, 2013 2:00 PM