none
Report Header in SSRS

Question

• Hi,

I'm stuck with something really basic that would have taken 5 minutes in Crystal Report, but SSRS is giving me headaches trying how to achieve that.

I have a few items in my page header that i want to show on the first page only and not on subsequent pages. Now I can do that using Visibility Expression, but then my header leaves all that space blank and doesn't shrink page header's height accordingly, which makes all subsequent pages look really bad.

Am I asking for too much? There should be a very simple mechanism of doing that. Tables can do this shrinking work, but then SSRS doesn't allow tables in the header.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 5:50 AM

All replies

• This is actually really easy to do.  In Crystal, you define headers, footers, sections and groups for the report.  In Reporting Services, these are elements of each data region (e.g. a Table, Matrix, List, etc.) that you would explictly add to an area o the report.  This approach gives you more flexibility and allows you to be more creative with report design.  In Reporting Services the report header is simply the top-most area of the report body before the first data region.  Page headers and footers are repeated on each page.  There's an option to omit the page header from the first age but you want to do the opposite - so you don't want to use the page header.  Just add the items to the top area of the report body.

Welcome into the light from the dark side :-)
    Paul Turley [Hitachi Consulting] SQLServerBIBlog.com
    • Proposed as answer by SuryaKoundinya Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 6:23 AM
  • See one thing u can do is remove Page header option from  u  r report.

just try to Place  all the Items in page body. I mean to say u r using only page body in u r report and dumping all the items of the report there..

so u can display the header only single time
    Praxy
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my first post. Let me give u a sample of what I want to achieve. My report is roughly shaped like this:

aaaaaaaaa            bbb           IMG1
    ccccccc
    ddddd

eeeeee
    =======================
    fff        ggg        hhh        iii       jjjj
    w1       w2          w3         w4     w5
    x1        x2          x3         x4      x5
    y1        y2           y3         y4      y5
    z1        z2           z3         z4      z5
    =======================
                                               Totals

Page 1 of 6           IMG2

aaaaaaaaa = Once on top of All Pages (Report Title, always above the "fff ggg hhh iii jjjj" line)
    bbb,ccccccc,ddddd,eeeeee,IMG1  = Each item once on top of First Page Only (Header-like items for Report Header only)
    fff,ggg,hhh,iii,jjjj = All Pages (Column headings to be repeated on top of each page)
    w through z = Data lines (Table body)
    Totals=End of the table
    PageNumber and IMG2=Page Footer (already working nicely)

That is a rough sketch of what I am after.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:35 AM
  • In the report header,  place

aaaaaaaaa

In the report Body, place

bbb,ccccccc,ddddd,eeeeee,IMG1
    and a table(fff,ggg,hhh,iii,jjjj    where u can SET Column headings to be repeated on top of each page )

Praxy
    • Edited by Prasanna K J Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:58 AM removed some rows
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:44 AM
  • try now

In the report header,  place

aaaaaaaaa

In the report Body, place

bbb,ccccccc,ddddd,eeeeee,IMG1
    and a table(fff,ggg,hhh,iii,jjjj    where u can SET Column headings to be repeated on top of each page )
    Praxy
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Thanks man. BTW, why are you placing fff,ggg,hhh,iii,jjjj in the header and then in the table as well? I suppose you didn't want to include fff,ggg,hhh,iii,jjjj in the header.

Assuming this, your solution would almost be correct, except for one thing. As i tried to show in the sketch above, Items aaaaa, bbb and IMG1 need to appear on the same line. Using the mechanism you suggested, it would appear like this:

aaaaaaaaa           
                              bbb           IMG1
    ccccccc
    ddddd

eeeeee
    =======================
    fff        ggg        hhh        iii       jjjj
    w1       w2          w3         w4     w5
    x1        x2          x3         x4      x5
    y1        y2           y3         y4      y5
    z1        z2           z3         z4      z5
    =======================
                                               Totals

Page 1 of 6           IMG2

Any solution to that?
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Was it better to be in the "dark side"? :-(
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Thanks Paul, Sometimes the simplest things are hard to figure out.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Hello Syed,

Please try the below design and check if it helps to resolve your issue.

Please let me know if any help needed further or any other issue while using this approach, thank you...

- Arun Gangumalla, Please mark as helpful or answered if it resolves your issue to help others in finding solutions easily.

Friday, January 18, 2013 7:43 AM
  • SSRS can have the same behavior as Crystal. You may download any of the samples from Crystal Migration Services and know exactly how to have Crystal like page header and report header in SSRS.

Here is the sample page.

http://www.crytalmigrater.com/Samples.aspx

You may also refer to samples in this page.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/487615/Crystal-Migration-Services-Your-sharp1-Choice-to-C

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:23 AM