none
32 bit oracle drivers on 2008 server

Question

• I have just installed SQL2005 on a 64bit 2008 server.SSIS packages run fine for connections to SQL servers.

However, I am exporting data to Oracle and hence have installed the Oracle 11g 32bit drivers which work fine on windows 2003 servers. When editing the package and connections I can connect to oracle fine, see the tables, manually build queries and do the mappings etc.

However, when I try and run the package in debug mode, I get the following error.

[Execute SQL Task] Error: Failed to acquire connection "DSSLIVE". Connection may not be configured correctly or you may not have the right permissions on this connection.

I have read of some 64 bit problems, and applied the following workaround

"the inventory is forced to be installed in "Program Files (x86)". This is the part where things break. So after the installation, search for "Oracle\Inventory" in the registry and change it to another location without brackets and move the directory over."

But this has not solved the problem.

I  got hold of a 64bit oracle 10g client, but when I try to install I get "Error in accessing system registry. You may not have enough permissions to modify registry. Installation cannot continue"

My account is a member of the administration group. An even when I "run as" administrator, java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition binary has stopped workin"

Anybody done SSIS packages to Oracle from Windows 2008 server

IT Professional - Multi Tasker
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:16 AM

Answers

• I suppose you could say, that you shouldn't be using a development environment on a server anyway.

Hence all our development is on 32 bit machines and the package is loaded onto the windows 2008 server for running only.

The 64 bit SQL 2005 will run the packages ok, when the oracle 64 bit drivers have been installed, even though we have developed on 32 bit machines.

• Marked as answer by Joe O_C Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:25 AM
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:25 AM

All replies

• There are tons of blog posts about getting Oracle to work with either the 32 bit drivers or 64 bit ones.  Personally, I don't run Oracle - but a quick search should turn up some things.  I do recall they've also run into the problem with the parentheses in the path which seems to give Oracle's driver indigestion.

You may need to tweak some Oracle specific things, but you may also need to adjust the way you're calling the package.  Especially since you say it works OK from BIDS.  Read here for what you may need to do to your server environment to run 32-bit drivers properly in SSIS.

Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    • Marked as answer by Bob BojanicOwner Monday, June 07, 2010 5:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Joe O_C Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:22 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 4:05 PM
  • I suppose you could say, that you shouldn't be using a development environment on a server anyway.

Hence all our development is on 32 bit machines and the package is loaded onto the windows 2008 server for running only.

The 64 bit SQL 2005 will run the packages ok, when the oracle 64 bit drivers have been installed, even though we have developed on 32 bit machines.

• Marked as answer by Joe O_C Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:25 AM
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:25 AM