none
SSRS Subscription-run report different from Manual run

    Question

  • I have a report in SSRS that gathers up records according to my customer's parameters and puts them into a temporary table, and then kicks of an SSIS job that pours all the records from that temporary table into a text file where my customer can access it.

    This works just fine when we manually run the SSRS report, but when we run the report by subscription (the preferred method) the text file is not placed.

    Does this sound familiar to anyone?

    Monday, July 02, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

  • Thanks, Mike!

    It turns out, the subscription was set up to not include the report (no linked or attached file). That made sense at the time, because the person receiving it didn't really want either of those in his inbox . . . it was enough to receive notification that the process was starting up as planned. When we changed the subscription to include an attached excel document of the report, it started updating the file.

    Thank you for the reference links. I'll take a look, see what other options we have.

    Thursday, July 05, 2012 2:51 PM

All replies

  • Hi MaryCollins,

    Before creating subscriptions, we need to configure report data source must be configured to use stored credentials. That’s because the report server retrieves and uses the credentials when report processing is scheduled or triggered by an event rather than a user request.

    In this issue, the issue might be caused by the delivery overwrite options settings of the subscription. If you choose not to replace an existing file with a newer version and there is an existing file already, the delivery will not occur.

    References:

    If the subscription cannot be created successfully after checking the settings, is there any error message received? If there is, please show us the details information for further analysis.

    Regards,
    Mike Yin

    Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:35 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, Mike!

    It turns out, the subscription was set up to not include the report (no linked or attached file). That made sense at the time, because the person receiving it didn't really want either of those in his inbox . . . it was enough to receive notification that the process was starting up as planned. When we changed the subscription to include an attached excel document of the report, it started updating the file.

    Thank you for the reference links. I'll take a look, see what other options we have.

    Thursday, July 05, 2012 2:51 PM
  • H MaryCollins,

    Thanks for your posting and sharing your solution. That's helpful.  

    Regards,
    Mike Yin

    Monday, July 09, 2012 3:36 AM
    Moderator