none
Do I need sql for win xp pro sp3?

Question

• I have several iterations of sql on my win xp pro sp3 system, specifically sql server 2005 compact, 2008 compact, compact 3.5 sp1 and a couple of associated apps.  These installed as optional ms updates, but why so many, and do i need these at all.  Does xp need them for some reason, 'cause I don't explicitly use them, I guess it's a database program(?).  I don't use this pc to host a website or as a local network server, so can I chuck these things?  I don't guess they're hurting anything, but they're just sitting there... silently mocking me... judging me....

Vae Victis
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows xp pro sp3 don't need any SQL Server Compact Editions. As you said there are a couple of associated applications, so make sure whether you need those applications. If you don't need them, you can remove those applications and SQL Server Compact Editions.

Hope this helps.
    ChunSong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:29 AM

All replies

• "Iterations" or "instances" of SQL Server on Win XP SP3?

IT's always good to apply the latest SP for any OS or software though...

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

Windows xp pro sp3 don't need any SQL Server Compact Editions. As you said there are a couple of associated applications, so make sure whether you need those applications. If you don't need them, you can remove those applications and SQL Server Compact Editions.

Hope this helps.
    ChunSong Feng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:29 AM