none
Subscription Description Confusion why?

Question

• So I have a nice report based on a stored procedure.

I have to create several subscription for business needs.  On Monday the report is run with a certain set of parameters, then emailed.

On Tuesday it runs with a different set of parameters so a 2nd Subscription and so on and so on.  Maybe I have 10 to 15 different subscriptions for one report.

It would be nice if I could while setting up the subscription give it a meaninful Description for the specific Subscription.

In the future I may have to modify this subscription, when I go to do this I will not know which one needs to be maintained due to the lack of a manually

created subscription.

Is there a way to do this?  (I am using SSRS 2008 and SSRS 2008R2 servers).

If not this would be a very nice enhancement.  Had a similar issue in Business Obejects Crystal Server on Instance of Reports.

Thanks,

Roger

• Edited by Rogoflap Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:42 PM tidy it up.
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Rogo,

From your description, you want to give a meaningful description for the specific subscription base on the parameter which used to run the report, right? If in this case, you can drag a text-box to the beginning of the report, and set the visibility of it base on the parameter. In this case, if this subscription is a specific one, then there is a text-box with the meaningful description in it displayed on the top of the subscription.

If this is not you want I am afraid there is no other approach to work around this issue, Personally, I recommend you that submit this suggestion at
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/. If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add the feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 15, 2013 7:23 AM
  • Hi Roger,

you could go via T-SQL to YOURREPORTSRV.dbo.Catalog.
    There you search for your Report like:

SELECT *
    FROM YOURREPORTSRV.dbo.Catalog
    WHERE YOURREPORTSRV.dbo.Catalog.Name like '%YOURREPORTNAME%'

There you can see the ItemID of your Report and then you go to YOURREPORTSRV.dbo.Subscriptions and in this table the ITEMID is your REPORT_OID

Select your Report and look in the Field "Description", there you can write anything you want.
    Get used to work on these tables it's fantastic but remind that
    Microsoft doesn't support these actions.

Greetz,
    Marco

Friday, February 15, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Thanks for the both of the replies.

I did goto the connect and looked up my request.  There were two requests in there for Descriptions in Subscriptions.  Only about 7 people have looked that one up and voted.  I guess not too many people are willing to enter a comment.  I wonder how many have to deal with subscriptions or if they found a workaround.

Rog

Roger

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:46 PM