none
Backup Sql Server maintenance plan

Question

• I have a full backup of the database is done every day with compression. Because of this small size of the backup files, and how much recovery risk , if I will restore backups? or me take a full backup without compressing a week? Which option is better? thank you
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have a client who enables this feature on the server level and it works just fine, not risk ... But if the size of the database is small I have doubt you will be benefited from compression and the purpose of this feature is to save disk space.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:51 AM
  • A good DBA frequently test the restore to be sure that it works without any issue/failure; so just test your backups by restoring them as a new database.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:19 PM
  •  and how much recovery risk , if I will restore backups? o

Recovery risk depends on your RPO and RTO.How often you take full backup ,differential backup and log backups.since you just mentioned baout full backup recovery risk max would be upto 24 hrs data loss.

>>me take a full backup without compressing a week? Which option is better? thank

If your backup is small and you have enough space on drive dont use backup compression.Backup compression can cause Out of memory error on loaded 32 bit system.Best answer is test backup and restore startegy and see for how efficiently both works

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:08 PM